430EX problem

oli

Edit My Images
No
Well I am pretty gutted as I have an issue with my flashgun and needed some advice?

I have a used 430EX that I purchased - This was well looked after with box and instructions and a warranty card (obviously out of date now)

I'm not sure where it was originally purchased but was working perfectly fine for when I used it, until I was towards the end of a family party photo session and the flash refuses to fire at all now.

Symptoms:

Everything works as it should, switches on fine backlight lcd fine, all controls on display works fine, the zoom function works it whistles on charge up and redlight illuminates, but will it fire?? Nope.

Things I have tried:

Tried off camera to fire the pilot light - nada
Tried on hotshoe, infrared light fires, and the green led underneath to show its charging - lights up then stops. (indicating ready to fire again) still nothing
Fully charged batteries - still nothing
Tried off camera cord -still zip

I'm thinking it is the flash filament is gone?
What options do I have before I bin it?

I am gutted and now not confident in buying used or even new as it is expensive and my budget doesn't allow for a new one.

Help, advice, suggestions?

Thanks

Oli

Take it in for a possible repair? There's a chance it may not cost too much.

overheated, have you tried it after leaving ti for a couple of hours??

hi I have left it for days and tried again last night with the above options ie off camera cord etc. still nothing:(

any suggestions for places I could try and obtain a quote from? a local place here in Swindon T4 cameras I tried said it would need to go to canon.

I was thinking of dismantling it but theres fear I would balls it up and have an even more useless flash. I have googled but couldnt find any guide to taking it apart.

oh yeah thanks for suggestions!

Oli

I wouldn't bin it, or even try and fix it - stick it up on Ebay and declare the fault, I watched a non-firing SB-800 go for £118 + shipping a few days ago :wacky:

yeah I recall a 550EX one for 'spares and repairs' go for similar amounts.

I was thinking the reasons why people were bidding on these as they would be 'relatively' straight forward for repair.

I just want it working!

Got an email address for him? :naughty:

:LOL: My Dad wanted the guy to just stop living :LOL:, every time he bid on any Nikon flash this fella chimed in and payed way over the odds.
We did have an email but this was last year, around March time too.

looking round on the net, i wouldnt attempt to dismantle it, dangerous and a PITA to reassemble if you dont know exactly how it goes together.

It does sound like the flash tube has bitten the dust as it's charging and everything else is working.

Try sending it into Fixation or some other repair place and get it fixed, I doubt it'll cost much if it's just a replacement tube or relay.

It does sound like the flash tube has bitten the dust as it's charging and everything else is working.

Try sending it into Fixation or some other repair place and get it fixed, I doubt it'll cost much if it's just a replacement tube or relay.

that is news I like to hear.(y)

I'll drop them an email and find out

thanks again!:love:

:)

Back