4k vs 180p for Extracting a still - GoPro Hero 5

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

Looking to pick some brains if I can, after googling hasn't really provided the answers I'm looking for.

I am off on another Diving Gannets trip in September and I'm planning on getting some underwater video by mounting my GoPro (Hero 5) to a pole and dunking it under the waterline.

My main question is what are my best options / compromises for set up as i'd want to grab a still or two from the video. If I go to 4k my highest frame rate option is 25fps, and I'm thinking my options of extracting sharp(est) images are going to be lower than shooting at 1080 where I can shoot at 120fps.

I tried last to to hold under the water and shoot stills in burst mode but out of 1500 shots only 1 was usable really, short looking at this method. I had seen plans and tutorials on how to rig a GoPro up so you can tether the wifi and get the app remote to work that way, but that looks pretty faffy.

I hope all this makes sense, any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Don't know about go pro but with lumix in 4k at 25fps it is only where there are 3 consecutive identical frames that the middle one will be sharp enough for still extraction. At 180 fps I have never looked but as only in HD don't think they would be much good. I don't think its possible to get sharp action stills from video with any degree of consistency. Diving gannets no chance- but happy to be proved wrong.

Don't know about go pro but with lumix in 4k at 25fps it is only where there are 3 consecutive identical frames that the middle one will be sharp enough for still extraction. At 180 fps I have never looked but as only in HD don't think they would be much good. I don't think its possible to get sharp action stills from video with any degree of consistency. Diving gannets no chance- but happy to be proved wrong.

Thanks for the input.
I’ve tried handholding under water with a dome previously and fired of stills in burst, but in over 1000 shots only one was useable.
A lot of chance and trial and error.
I’ll see how I go and not pin all my hopes and time on GoPro shooting, and get some above water shots I want too

It will be relevant what the shutter speed is being forced to, it can't go lower than the Frame rate so far as I know.
Most failed screen grabs will relate to blur due to slow(ish) shutter.

Back