4x5 Black & White film

Snapper73

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to shoot some 4x5 Black & White film.

Going to be location/landscape with a model outside. There is not much around to choose from but thinking maybe Ilford Delta 100 or Ilford FP4 :thinking:

Any others you peeps would recommend (y)

Any reason why you wouldn't use the B&W film that I'm (assuming) you are familiar with from smaller formats? :)

I use the same emulsions for both 35mm and 120 (aside from Tri-X, which I find a little too grainy at 35mm level - but you are going bigger, not smaller).

Any reason why you wouldn't use the B&W film that I'm (assuming) you are familiar with from smaller formats? :)

I use the same emulsions for both 35mm and 120 (aside from Tri-X, which I find a little too grainy at 35mm level - but you are going bigger, not smaller).

I'm not that overly familiar with any B&W film i've shot on 35 & 120 as I use all kinds of stuff i've picked up. I've just got some Tri-X 400 in 120 so going to give that a blast. Its also comes down to budget dont really want to spend over £50 on 25 sheets ;)

Tri-x is wonderful in 120 in my view. The larger the negative the less grain is an issue. I would go for Tri-x or HP5 personally as both are lovely film and have a respectable 320 and 400 iso which is also quite handy.

Hi, I shoot 5X4 quite a bit I can assure you grain on 5x4 will not be a problem with any of these films.

I've always found HP5 to be slightly smoother than Tri X but out of the two Tri X seems to be sharper. Both are very good films. FP4 will be finer grain, sharper, and have more contrast but is slower.

One of my favorite ways of shooting FP4 in bright contrasty conditions is to over expose by one stop and cut developement by 25%, ie expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights. Usually developed in ID11/D76 stock solution.

This will lower the contrast and give you a range of tones that are well suited to landscape/model work ie plenty of shadow detail without burning out the highlights.

Hope this helps.

Back