5 stop filter or ex +5?

T

thewol

Hi.

i have see poeple use a 5 stop filter - to get better day time photo's
would using the ex compension +5 do the same?

many thanks
wol

It all depends what you want to achieve.

Generally people use Neutral Density filters to increase the exposure time by cutting down to how much light reaches the film/sensor - by changing the exposure comp you're going to have to either go to the maximum aperture (something like f/22) or decrease the exposure time by making the time the shutter is open much shorter, something like 1/4000thsec.

With a ND filter you can keep the aperture quite wide if you wish, but increase the exposure time, allowing you to get those shots where the waves on rocks, or a waterfall go all blurred.

Won't +5 exposure compensation make your shots way over exposed? If you want a long shutter speed, use the lowest ISO and the highest F number you can. If that's not long enough, you need a filter.

Won't +5 exposure compensation make your shots way over exposed? If you want a long shutter speed, use the lowest ISO and the highest F number you can. If that's not long enough, you need a filter.

Indeed. It would just be the same as decreasing the shutter speed in Manual mode. I think filters would be needed to achieve the correct exposure iif you're looking for slower shutter speeds.

I can't remember that last time I used exposure comp. Shoot in manual anyway, especially with filters - miles easier :)

Back