50 million years old

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
In a piece of baltic amber, between 40-50 million years old.

No problem about it keeping still, though I'll swear I saw it move when the flash went off.

P1180281JPG.jpg

P1180279JPG.jpg

P1180282JPG.jpg

Really stunning images but i want you to promise your not going to extract dinosaur DNA and clone it.

Good set of images you got there! :) I was just waiting to see a kingfisher entombed in the ambery goodness :LOL: The colours are really nice!!

Thanks Sam :)

Ta Phil :) The middle one is resting on an oak table, the other two are on white paper, so probably more true to its colour.

Wow........ That's old :D

That's very cool (y)

Very cool...

Very old...

:D

Imagine that wee thing was buzzing around all that time ago...

:eek:

Amazing.

:clap:

Amazing {wink!**

......a midgie?

Last edited:
Not changed much have they over the years. good shot and I wouldn't be that surprised if that species was still flying about today. :LOL:

Thanks Mike, Alby and Dave :)

I had the brilo pads out cleaning that sensor, thought I'd got rid of em all :)

Thats awesome, I wonder if theres an equivalent insect today. Would be interesting to see how much its evolved over 50 million years!

Ta Jaber :)

I agree SuperCNJ, It would be interesting to know what species it is.

Heres the size.

P1180320JPG.jpg

Only just though Matt :)

Thats cool!

How did it become entombed then? (maybe i should have paid attention at shool!)

"Insects and spiders living on the forest floor millions of years ago got entrapped in sticky resin. Today, the resin has hardened to amber and these ”frozen dramas” are visible like a window to the past.
Some inclusions may have ended up together by accident, others because of their behaviour. Mating couples fell into the resin. Parasites or predators were trapped together with their victims. Half of the insects were feeding on other insects. Spiders on the forest floor were hunting with or without a web. Small mites clung to their hosts as parasites or to move to a new location. Ants were caught while tending their lice and plants.

Some samples of these behaviours from the past are perfectly preserved in three dimensions. Life and behaviour in these 25-40 million year old amber pieces show that these insects were very similar to today's.

There are hundreds of different kinds of amber found all over the world. The oldest is about 225 million years old. The most well known sources are found in the Baltic Sea region and in the Dominican Republic in the West Indies. Fossil evidence shows that the oldest insects already existed 350-400 million years ago. They have since come to dominate the world in both species and numbers. There are 200 million insects to each human. We humans, just newcomers, are only about a million years old."

Hope that googled answer helps :)

Back