50d hair in viewfinder

Name
david
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title says my 50d has a hair in the viewfinder.

I've checked that it isn't on focus screen or mirror and its definitely not on sensor as doesn't show up on pics.

I contacted canon through their website over a week a go using email support asking if it could be fixed under warranty. Received an email a few days later saying someone would be in contact within 3 days but as yet I've heard nothing.

Will canon clean out the viewfinder under warranty? and if so what is the best way to go about it?

many thanks

The most likely place this hair has to be is on the focusing screen. Does it appear to be sharp (ish) in the viewfinder?

Had one a few weeks ago, I could only find it using mirror lockup, fortunately I was able to catch a hold of it with tweezers and a steady hand and pull it out, rocket blower wouldn't shift it.

definitely not on focussing screen CT, I bought a replacement screen incase i scratched the original one when taking it out to check.

I've had the rocket blower in there with mirror locked up and where you can see the little focussing dots is where you can see the hair. It wouldn't shift at all with the rocket blower so I assume its inside. Im not as confident as you to poke about with a pair of tweezers frank ;)

just checked CT the hair is sharpish, sits a few mm above the top centre focus dot

I had lots of things in my viewfinder (30D) and I needed a sensor clean.

I took it to Calumet in Manchester and told the boffin that my viewfinder was filthy and asked is it poss to clean that too. He did it no probs.

It cost about £40 for everything.

definitely not on focussing screen CT, I bought a replacement screen incase i scratched the original one when taking it out to check.
Fair does then if you've had the screen out and you're sure it's not on either side of the focusing screen. Curious that it's sharp though which usually tends to indicate that it's on or very near the focusing screen.

I know it can be annoying, but if it isn't affecting your pics, it's best ignored, or get a pro to sort it out.

That's why I was hoping canon would do it under warranty CT. I thought maybe someone on here would know from experience if they would do it and how best to organise it as they haven't got back to me for what will b 2 weeks on Monday

Has the hair always been there? This is me asking - not Canon. :D

as they haven't got back to me for what will b 2 weeks on Monday

From what i've read on here in the past Canon are not very good on their customer service :(

That's why I was hoping canon would do it under warranty CT. I thought maybe someone on here would know from experience if they would do it and how best to organise it as they haven't got back to me for what will b 2 weeks on Monday

Why would they do it under warranty?

It is not faulty, it is just wear and tear in my opinion.

This is probably a good time to explain how I got that purple tag under my name over on the left there for those who haven't hear the story..
<-------

In 1996 I bought a brand new Nikon F4 -around £2K body only. On getting it home I could see a tiny hair in the corner of the viewfinder. The nice thing about the F4 was you could remove the prism and just lift out the screen, which I did. There was the offending hair stuck under the edge of the plastic screen surround.

This is the dumb bit. Knowing exactly how stupid it was, I dried my lips - emptied my mouth of saliva to get everything as dry as possible and gave a huge blow at the screen.... nothing - tiny hair still there. Undeterred, I gave a second mighty blow and deposited a huge gob of spit on the screen! To make matters worse it dried in a horrible mess which looked like a relief map of Europe and it was on the etched side of the screen!

Convinced it was going to cost me a new screen, I took it to my usual repair guy who mercilessly took the **** for a few minutes before diappearing with the screen into the back of the shop. He returned 5 minutes later with the screen as clean as a whistle.

He wouldn't tell me how he cleaned it, but he never charged me either. For months afterwards though, every time I saw him I had to put up with "Hello Cedric - gobbed in any good Nikons lately?" :D

You can get paranoid about this stuff and while you're worrying about it you could be out taking pics. ;)

hair hasn't always been there probably just over 2 months now.
I know its just an aesthetic thing but it does irritate me a little and if I can get it cleaned for free from canon I would.

The reason I ask about having it done under warranty is that I'm pretty sure I've read about people on here having their sensors cleaned under warranty.
I don't see this being too dissimilar.

Camera Is fine in every other way so nothing else to send it back for(touch wood)

I'm pretty sure it is a hair, its an arc shape.

thanks for the input guys.

Cool story CT:LOL:

hair hasn't always been there probably just over 2 months now.
I know its just an aesthetic thing but it does irritate me a little and if I can get it cleaned for free from canon I would.

The reason I ask about having it done under warranty is that I'm pretty sure I've read about people on here having their sensors cleaned under warranty.
I don't see this being too dissimilar.

Camera Is fine in every other way so nothing else to send it back for(touch wood)

I'm pretty sure it is a hair, its an arc shape.

thanks for the input guys.

Cool story CT:LOL:

I had mine done by Nikon, but only because it was in for focus adjustment...

Think I'm going to try taking it into a canon repair centre and see if they laugh at me and fix it in five minutes like CT ;)

Back