Beginner 50mm lens recommendation

Name
Lewis Hawkins
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I took up photography a few months back, got a Nikon D7000 with a 70-300mm lens, I'm getting into Wildlife photography. Looking at buying a 50mm lens, preferable prime, to dabble in some closer shots and filming. I'm looking at a Nikon AF-S 50mm f.1.8G lens. Is this a good idea? any thoughts appreciated

L Hawkins

The Nikon 50mm 1.8 is a great lens and cheap too, but I'm not sure it's going to be very useful for wildlife. What kind of things are you thinking about?

Or have I misunderstood and you just want a lens for non wildlife close stuff and filming? In which case, consider the 35mm 1.8. Another excellent lens, also cheap.

I was a big fan of the (non Art) Sigma 50mm f1.4.

DBT85 I want to use it for flora and general photography, maybe a little scenic, but also filming in general could be anything.

I have a venerable old 50mm f/1.8 AF - pre even the D classification and when I was considering upgrading to a modern f/1.4 version, I was advised by salesmen not to bother unless I really wanted the ultra shallow DoF that the f/1.4 version offers (and one of them told me that if I wanter REALLY shallow DoF, stick with an old MF f/1.2 one if I can find one!) Since your body can drive the screw driven lenses, it might be worth looking for one of them. Cheaper than the newer lenses too!

You mention filming, I'm guessing video?? If so the older lenses are best avoided as the screw drive makes some noise and this will be picked up by the mike on the camera - may be less of an issue if sound isn't needed of course. Even then the newer 50mm f1.g is a better lens and they are not expensive.

DBT85 I want to use it for flora and general photography, maybe a little scenic, but also filming in general could be anything.

ah, in that case the 50mm or the 35mm will both be possible options for you. 35mm will be better indoors as it's a bit wider. Difficult to go wrong with either really.

How about the 40mm f2.8 prime? It's a macro lens so if you want to be taking pics of flowers etc then it will give you a proper 1:1 replication of it and enables you to get super close.

Back