50mm lens

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of questions, starting of with what is the difference between these 2 models?

f1.4 D
and
f1.4 G

Is the G model worth the extra money?

For a cropped sensor D40X (and soon a D300) would the 35 mm or the 50mm be the best choice, for headshots, portrait work and close up detailed shots of cars.

For auto focus on the D40 you will need the AF-S G version - personally for portrait / head shots / detail shots i'd look at a 90 / 105mm macro lens. I use the 50mm AF-D on a D300 and its a cracking lens but i find its not wide enough most of the time and the 35mm is the next lens on the wanted list.

For auto focus on the D40 you will need the AF-S G version - personally for portrait / head shots / detail shots i'd look at a 90 / 105mm macro lens. I use the 50mm AF-D on a D300 and its a cracking lens but i find its not wide enough most of the time and the 35mm is the next lens on the wanted list.

The 105mm VR lens is already on my list.

So you are saying that the 35mm might be a better choice on a cropped sensor?

How important is autofocus at these sorts of distances?

I have to 50mm f/1.4 G on my d700, it is top quality. I also have the 35mm f/2, top quality also. And my next one will be... yes .... the 105mm maco. And I do portraits mainly ! There again, the depth of field is so short on a full frame that I rarely go below f/4.

The 105mm VR lens is already on my list.

So you are saying that the 35mm might be a better choice on a cropped sensor?

How important is autofocus at these sorts of distances?

For me yes as the 35mm will give a similar FOV to a 50mm on a 35mm film camera or a 50mm on a FF digital body - For you it may be different so i would suggest trying both before buying, As for manual focus if your subject is fairly static it shouldn't cause any issues.

For me yes as the 35mm will give a similar FOV to a 50mm on a 35mm film camera or a 50mm on a FF digital body - For you it may be different so i would suggest trying both before buying, As for manual focus if your subject is fairly static it shouldn't cause any issues.

I suppose having autofocus and being able to switch it off, is always the preference. Rather have it and not need it, than not have it and need it.

Anyone in the surrey area with both lenses :p

decided to go for the nikon 35mm f1.8, which I will order when I get back from Wales next week :) thanks all

Back