580 EX + Pentax *IST cameras compatible?

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Anybody willing to comment on the above?

As those who know me can confirm - I AM SUPERSTITIOUS!!:bonk:

I am sure the flash will not fry but is it wise to try and use it so?:shrug:

Reason I ask is 'cause I am basically forced by policy to use the Pentax camera for crime scene work and they bought us these puny little AF 360 flash guns.

Don't be fooled by the model - the guide # is lower than 36. Can't remember but it says something like 28 in the manual...:bang:

This does not work for night time scenes and so my options are either to use one of my 580s or privately buy the AF-540 flash and sponsor it to the job:p

Any comments appreciated(y)

I'd guess the contacts would be wrong though you could try marrying them up together to see. I'm sure you could find a 'cheap' option in the sigma or metz or sunpak line up?

I use my 580 on the mamiya from time to time and it fires fine. Obviously it's not going to do any thinking for you but you'd want manual control anyway, surely. ;)

I'd guess the contacts would be wrong though you could try marrying them up together to see. I'm sure you could find a 'cheap' option in the sigma or metz or sunpak line up?

I use my 580 on the mamiya from time to time and it fires fine. Obviously it's not going to do any thinking for you but you'd want manual control anyway, surely. ;)

Thanks guys(y)

Being superstitious and lacking knowledge of electronics and circuitry, I am just a bit worried about something getting damaged in the long run...

'tis true, a little knowledge is dangerous:bonk:

Models a bit dated but tells me what I want to know - not a good idea

Am I missing something there Anton?

I cant see anything to suggest a flash safe for an EOS camera could be harmful to a pentax. :shrug:

Am I missing something there Anton?

I cant see anything to suggest a flash safe for an EOS camera could be harmful to a pentax. :shrug:

I am not worried about the Pentax I am worried about my 580 flashes and 2 models have a "your call" listing for use on the Canon so IN MY MIND (even if I'm wrong on this) the 580 on a Pentax camera is a no-go;)

No circuitry will be fried.

It will flash! It will flash and sync up to the camera's sync speed.

It will NOT talk to the camera.

The AF assist light will NOT work.

The contacts MAY line up, but the pinouts have nothing to do with each other. Would you mash a plug into a socket it's not meant to go in? No. So tape over the shoe contacts on the flash, leaving a little hole for the centre (sync) pin.

The flash will fire at full power unless you set it otherwise.

If you don't wanna risk it, I heartily recommend the Metz 48/58 AF-1 flashes in Pentax flavour. :)

If you don't wanna risk it, I heartily recommend the Metz 48/58 AF-1 flashes in Pentax flavour. :)

Been looking at them.(y)

Either the real deal in af-540 or the Metz 58.

Will check out pricing locally or fleebay;)

In these cases it's the camera that is prone to damage not the flash, the flash produces the voltage that can fry the cameras' circuitry not the other way round. It's easy enough to use a camera/flash combo in manual mode, photographers have been doing it for decades before auto everything became the norm :)

The AF-540 is a bit of a flimsy, poorly-built flash. The Metz 58 is more powerful, considerably cheaper, and has a secondary flash tube in the lower half of the unit, as well as the facility to update the firmware via USB :)

Back