5D Mk II

Put Canon 5D rumours in google, go to Northlight Images.

There's pages and pages of Canon rumours. But this one looked pretty definite, and likely.

dpreview has them as well, if you can get beyond people slagging each other off. There's a link to it from Northlight Images.

The rumours didn't know the name of the new camera, or the spec.

God I must have been bored yesterday.....:)

I would like to no what it iwll be like and if it will turn up, sad to say i havent got the readys to get it at the min but ill start saving now :D :LOL:

This camera will decide whether I stick to canon of shift to Nikon. Canon's recent less than adequate 1d series has put me off getting a 1ds mk3, and knowing that the 5d is due a replacement kept me waiting to see how canon will trump Nikon. If they don't I'm converting to the dark side of Nikon. There are too many photographers I respect that have made the shift.
Secretly, I'm hoping canon will deliver a winner with this new expected camera.

This camera will decide whether I stick to canon of shift to Nikon. Canon's recent less than adequate 1d series has put me off getting a 1ds mk3, and knowing that the 5d is due a replacement kept me waiting to see how canon will trump Nikon. If they don't I'm converting to the dark side of Nikon. There are too many photographers I respect that have made the shift.
Secretly, I'm hoping canon will deliver a winner with this new expected camera.

I'm in the same boat there Nathan, It looks like the dark side for me too and very soon.

I'm curious to see what camera body Canon will release this month but I suspect that the price will be completely OTT in comparison with Nikon's D3 and D700.

In light of my upcoming assignments, I am in dire need of a full frame pro body upgrade and since Canon are not currently offering anything that suits my needs as well as a D3, I'm limited in my options.
I use two L series lenses for the bulk of my paid work (24-70 f/2.8 & 70-200 f/2.8) and a 10-17mm Tokina for extremeties, so I'm more mildy rather than heavily invested.
My current camera bodies are a 30D and a 1DmkI. The 1D is a stunning camera that has given me fantastic results despite struggling with the dated features, it's been my main body since June and it was bought for just £385.

I have looked at 1DSmkII's but frame rate, insufficient ISO capability (for my needs) and the unrealistic second hand asking prices make this option unwise. Plus I really want to invest in a new system with at least 2 years warranty.
A 1DmkIII is a 1.3x crop combined with all the previous AF errors left me to skipping that option and the 1DSmkIII at 21 mega pixels would mean updating my computer and hard drive capacity, plus it's the same price as a D3 with good glass and an SB800! (Calumet quote: D3, 24-70, Spare Battery, 8GB extreme III card and a SB 800 = £4100 ish).

My primary needs are Sports, Landscape, Portraiture and Weddings.
Canon would basically have to release a full frame, weather sealed body, that has similar ISO capability, around 8-9 fps and for less than £5000 in order for me to invest any further.
I suspect that if they were going to release anything similar in spec, it would be closer to £6000 realistically and unavailble for some time to come.

Even with the release of a 5DmkII at around £2000 to £2500, Canon aren't offering someone like me much of a choice.

Never the less, I"m not selling up. My Canon gear is staying in my inventory and I may buy another Canon body in future. Let's see.

Back