5d replacement soon ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Taken from another photo forum:

http://www.cpanet.cn/gcms/end.php?news_id=10908

After over two years' 'fighting' in the market, it's the time for 5d to be upgraded. the recent promotion of 5d in the market is said to be directly advised by canon: clearance of all stock before the end of the year.

according to reliable source: canon has registered UPC code on 4th oct for its new generation semi-professional full-frame DSLR. the model is eos-7d. (see the webpage for the picture)

according to the name, it seems a less professional version of 5d. however, it is not like this at all. its appearance is completely the same with 5d. the batteries are interchangable. and its configuration will catch up with d300: 12 million pixels; 3 inch LCD (0.92 million pixels); iso value able to be extended to 6400... all are so similar, and it's a full-frame!

according to the most recent news: its price is RMB 12800 (approximately GBP 850). it's a strategic counterattack. in the past months, nikon first inserted d3 between 1ds mark3 and 1d mark 3, with a better configuration and a less expensive price comparing to 1d mark 3. now after months of vexation, canon did the same thing to nikon's d80 and d300 with this 7d, which has almost the same quality, a full-frame sensor and an even lower price comparing to d300!

as we know, 1 month before 40d's announcement, canon registered UPC for it on 20 aug. if this is the same for 7d, which had its UPC registered on 4 oct, eos 7d should be announced before the end of the year.

some ppl have already got the 'engineering testing sample' of 7d (is the e.t.s. thing translated correctly?) and have provided its main configurations:
1. 12 million full frame CMOS

2. 5 fps, max. 21 continuous shooting of raw images

3. automatic dust reduction

4. 35 area subarea light metering system; central point metering available for the 3.5% central area

5. 15 point high accuracy cross focusng AF system. f2.8 high accuracy focusing available at the central focusing point
6. viewfinder: 96% vision field, 0.71x

7. 3.0 inch, 0.92 million pixel LCD (640*480 VGA)

8. ISO 50-3200, can be extended to 6400 or 12800

9. Mg-Al alloy body, dust proof, water proof

10. 14-bits DIGIC III processor

11. HDMI connector

12. 16:9 shooting available at 8 million pixels

13. EF-S lens not supported

14. LCD liveview

15. 5D grip and battery compatible

Hmmm, another day another rumour. £850 seems a bit on the low side, I would expect the new model (if and when) to be around double that price...

Just an update, the bar code for the UPC on that site is actually for a:

Bayonet Ring Kit for the Powershot G9

Hey ho...

I'll go mental if that's the price! That'd put in into the same ballpark as the 40D, which seems very strange.

Yeah i doubt it'll be £850 by the time it reaches the UK, stick a 1 in front of it and it'll be close !

Back