5D to be discontinued?

You have a 5D ?

Its about time too, its currently one of if not THE longest production model in Canon's EOS History, about time that it got a new model

can it be true?

Of course it can. If Canon has a replacement lined up and no spare manufacturing capacity to still make the 5D it makes sense to cease production early and run numbers down before the price is deflated by the release of a new full frame model.

Of course it could all be a load of rubbish too. ;)

I bought one a couple of months ago. Still a great camera and holds it's own very well (even against the D700). The only reason it would be discontinued would be if Canon were to confirm the release of the 5D MKII that everyone believes is coming.

If they do, what does that mean for after sales/warranty etc?

Ray: yeah, I treated myself a few months back; tis awesome :)

All prodcut from reputable manufacturers have what's known as a service life. This if the duration the company will carry spares and service a product after it has ceased production. You'll have to ask Canon what the current serivce life is on it's models, but on something that has sld as higly as the 5D it will be good for many years to come.

I don't see what all the fuss is about... any digital SLR model will have a 2-3 year lifespan before it gets superceded.

The 5D is unusual in that it's been around for such a long time (in DSLR terms at least :) ) I bought one back in April, and I was aware that the design was about 2 1/2 years old - but for me this was a big selling point. With the 5D, Canon came up with a winning design that was able to hold its own amongst the competition. It's only now, with the D3/D700 and 5-figure ISOs that it's starting to show its age.

In 2011, the D3 will be starting to show its age and we might already have a D4 :)

The 5D (and D700) have shown that there's a big market for a quality prosumer full-frame DSLR. The 5D mk II/3D/whatever will not be far away.

A.

You have a 5D ?

Its about time too, its currently one of if not THE longest production model in Canon's EOS History, about time that it got a new model

I'm sure you mean EOS DSLR's not EOS cameras in general... ;)

I was hoping the 5D MkII (or whatever it may be called) will be announced at Photokina, or just before - if it is then yes the 5D will be discontinued.

the thing is this range of DSLR are lasting longer than expected, and actually do the job there intended for, from Pro to Armature, from the starter range through to the first full frame, there is very little to cut it between each camera, so by introducing a new range or making the 5D MK ll which i believe they will call it a strong retail name with more bells and whistles and charge a hefty price, with a few add on's it will have more of a knock on effect on the higher range of the market, you could see the top of the range being discontinued soon,or is there a strong enough market for the top dogs.

Regards Mark

Back