Review 5d vs 40d vs 1d mk3

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

This is more of a comparison rather than a review but thought this would be the best place for it.

I decided to have a go at taking a series of images using all my cameras and the majority of my lenses to see what differences there were between each camera and lens combinations etc.

This is in no way a scientific test, i just tried to photograph the same subject using all my equipment and did my best to keep approximately the same field of view for each shot.

The cameras i used were a 5D classic, a 40D and a 1D mk3
obviously one full frame, a 1.6 crop and a 1.3 crop body, all between 10 and 12 mp

Lenses i used were:

Sigma 20 - 40mm 2.8 (Tested at 20 and 40mm)
canon 50mm 1.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4
Canon 100mm F2
Canon 70 - 200mm L 2.8 (Tested at 100mm - 200mm)

I shot wide open with all lenses in varying apertures upto f8.

Obviously there were a lot of images to look at, so, for now i am just posting what i immediately noticed between the three bodies.

The most immediate difference between the bodies was the way that they handled AWB and exposure so differently. See the images below:

5D:

IMG_0143 by petewallace1, on Flickr

1D:

6E6B0923 by petewallace1, on Flickr

40D:

IMG_0020 by petewallace1, on Flickr

As you can see the 40D has an orange tint, 1D slight yellow, and 5D slight blue.

Exposure the 5D seems closest, think the orange cast on the 40D makes it look darker and the 1D slightly underexposed.

I adjusted them all to try and match them as close as i could;

5D adjusted:

IMG_0143a_1 by petewallace1, on Flickr

1D adjusted:

6E6B0923a_1 by petewallace1, on Flickr

40D adjusted:

IMG_0020a_1 by petewallace1, on Flickr

Could not adjust the 40D image as well as the other two images.

Overall from these three images i prefer the 5D image, just, over the 1D, mainly in the Bokeh (look at the radiator) the 40D seems a little softer than the other two and more difficult to get the colour right.

I shall show some more comparisons between these cameras with this lens wide open as it too was interesting, but will post this another day.

Hope i havent rabbitted on too much, and i know some people will have different opinions and thoughts on these images which i would be glad to hear, but just wanted to make some sort of comparison between my camera equipment to see if a particular lens works better on a given body etc. and thought i would share some of my findings.

Cheers

Pete

They are all different shutter speeds and crop factors but you have used spot metering so it doesn't look like they are all metered from the same area hence different results?

Yeah your probably right, like i say not very scientific. The light was ambient and it did take a couple of hours to do the whole lot.
I went through each camera first with each lens and through each aperture, before i began again on the next camera.so light did change throughout the test, hence the different shutter speeds

I had them all set to 100 ISO and used one shot focusing on the centre point. Thought if i used spot metering and focused on the same point in each case (the right eye of the cuddly toy) then that would be my best way of keeping things constant with out using a flash set up etc. but perhaps i would have been better using evaluative instead. You live and learn :)

Pete

Back