5DIII vs 1Ds2 - DUST and shadow noise

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I am thinking about 5DIII at some point in the future as AF and sealing seems to be inline with pro bodies now.

I'd be grateful if you could comment about:

1) dust - is it any better than the old models? Presume the 'worst case' scenario - f/18 landscapes or macros with flash and a very pedantic user. How many dust bunnies can you see? My 1Ds is filthy and even very hard to clean, totally fed up with that, otherwise I love it.

2) how noisy are the shadows at LOW ISO - LANDSCAPES - (100-400) when pushed a stop or two in post? How does it compare with 1DsII or III? I hear 5DII was quite bad... I've only used 50D from modern cameras and that was horrible before even pushing anything. 1Ds2 is OK, but not stellar - I can easily get 1 stop ish and then there is too much banding noise in the darkest bits.

ie. does 5DIII make more sense than used 1ds III once prices settle down?

examples would be appreciated too (y)

I've got both and as good as the 1Ds2 is the 5D3 beats it hands down (which in fairness it should, being what, 6 years newer?).

The sensor cleaning is very effective, I've been using it for landscapes, plus an airshow and Le Mans, both dusty environments, and changing lenses in the field, and have not yet got the swabs out in over 6000 shots, I've got two dust bunnies visible at f16 against a light sky, I'll take the rocket blower to them at some point.

I can get up to a couple of stops out of the shadows with only a little bit of noise. Although not a scientific measurement it also seems to have a greater dynamic range than the 1Ds2, I seem to have a little more at each end to play with than the 1Ds2.

If ever you need it you'll love the high ISO, I leave mine on Auto ISO up to 6400 when shooting parties etc, at that the noise is very well controlled.

Go for it, you'll not be disappointed. The only thing you might miss, depending on your style, is the lack of portrait controls, a grip sorts this of course. I'm guessing though you'll be like me, tripod, cable release and not a concern about buttons.

Another thing I find really useful is the custom controls, I have one set up for tripod landscapes where initially it gives me one shot AF, mirror lockup, 1/15th at f11. Obviously it is a starting point but it means if I need to hurry to catch last light I don't need to be going in to menus to select mirror lockup etc.

Back