5div to r6ii worth it?

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it a worthwhile upgrade? There’s nothing wrong with the 5d, I was just looking at the 28-70 2.0 as a replacement for the 24-70 2.8 ii and then obviously I’d have to swap cameras. I’m not a professional, I make £0 from photography, I have said no to weddings as I didn’t want the hassle, purely for family photos and trips

I’ve watched a few videos and the autofocus on the r6ii looks good but I’m torn. The r5 is a little bit out of budget (£150 memory cards?!) and also, a few years old now, I feel like as soon as I buy it they’ll announce the r5ii or is that worth waiting for and saving up?

Just wondered if anyone went from the 5div to the r6ii and thinks that they made the right or wrong decision? I will use my 70-200 and 85 with an adapter if that makes any difference too

Also, can I use the same batteries as my 5d in the r5 & r6? I already have spares

Thank you

I love my 5Div, had it since 2017, from new. The R6ii has some more up to date features, especially the AF but whilst there's nothing wrong with a 24 MP sensor, my 5D has 30 MP, so that would be a step back, if that's the right way to put it.

I don't see enough of a difference from my point of view to drop the cash on a R6ii but my needs might be different to yours, as I'm wildlife and landscapes.

The R5ii is allegedly coming soon. I'm taking that with a pinch of salt though as I saw it with the R7, rumours on that camera ran for about 3 years. I'm guessing the R5ii will cost significantly more than the Mk1.

I'll be sticking with my 5Div for the foreseeable, backed up with an R7.

Sure you want the 28-70 for family photos and trips? it's nearly 1.5kg. R5 is still great if you need the extra pixels. Batteries are the same.

I love my 5Div, had it since 2017, from new. The R6ii has some more up to date features, especially the AF but whilst there's nothing wrong with a 24 MP sensor, my 5D has 30 MP, so that would be a step back, if that's the right way to put it.

I don't see enough of a difference from my point of view to drop the cash on a R6ii but my needs might be different to yours, as I'm wildlife and landscapes.

The R5ii is allegedly coming soon. I'm taking that with a pinch of salt though as I saw it with the R7, rumours on that camera ran for about 3 years. I'm guessing the R5ii will cost significantly more than the Mk1.

I'll be sticking with my 5Div for the foreseeable, backed up with an R7.

Ill hold off for the minute then, I think a 5d mark v would’ve been easier but obviously mirrorless took over and I was feeling like an upgrade, it the r6ii isn’t going to feel like one then there’s no point.

Sure you want the 28-70 for family photos and trips? it's nearly 1.5kg. R5 is still great if you need the extra pixels. Batteries are the same.

And no, I don’t want to carry that weight haha, I’ve been taking my Olympus tg5 out sometimes instead of the 5d as I just can’t be bothered to carry it, the f2 zoom just sounded nice and YouTube makes it seem like I needed it.

Thank you for your help, I’ll hang on, maybe until the r5ii maybe even the r6iii haha

it the r6ii isn’t going to feel like one then there’s no point.
I still have the 5DM4 but it's very much a backup now or for use on occasions when I need more camera bodies. For family photos, I would think you will feel the benefit of the way better autofocus tracking straight away.

YouTube makes it seem like I needed it.

haha! YouTube videos are great for that.

haha! YouTube videos are great for that.
Yeah, the 200-800 looks like a nice lens i don’t need as well, I’ll wait a few more months and see if the r5ii gets announced, I’d like to just upgrade once, thanks again

Is it a worthwhile upgrade?
It depends really

Improved:
  • AF in a different league
  • IBIS
  • FF 4K 60p video, and also 6K external RAW
  • crazy high fps
Seriously downgraded:
  • cheap plastic body
  • pixelated low res old EVF from sony's junkyard
  • short, uncomfortable grip. This is no 5D any more. No better than Sony now
24MP vs 30MP is probably closer than you think. 5DIV has hell of a strong AA filter meaning only sharpest primes can properly get through that. So you likely don't ever get anywhere near 30, particularly in the edges... R6II still has AA filter but it is less aggressive.
I either need medium res files for clients, where even 16MP is overkill, or I need full 50++MP and that's for high res printing. Think a wall,. Do you do that?
There’s nothing wrong with the 5d
OK. So this is essentially WANT rather than NEED, and there is nothing wrong with that.
I was just looking at the 28-70 2.0
This is a big WANT, and that's likely one of the better options for RF if you can drop so much cash in one go.
I would argue that maybe you will find the new 24-105mm f/2.8 more useful because of the extra range in one package - very useful for family lifestyle shooting.
These are not lenses I own nor realistically consider due to cost, and then plastic build. That much money buys me a bag full of Sigma ART primes and lots more.
I would not expect them to be optically perfect, but that would mainly manifest on 8K sensor like R5. You should be relatively OK with 6K R6II.
a replacement for the 24-70 2.8 ii
Personally I shifted mine a while ago without even replacing directly; 35mm and 50mm Tamron and Sigma primes cover the gap. One thing it was actually pretty good for was events, people and lifestyle. But if you venture into landscapes and high res cameras, etc I can see why you'd want something substantially upgraded.
If you want a zoom in RF mount then you don't really have many option other than what was mentioned above and I'd personally skip RF 24-70mm f/2.8 unless you fancy extra heavy [correctable] vignette at ridiculous price.
But you also have options in Sony with excellent 24-70mm GM2.

I’ve watched a few videos and the autofocus on the r6ii
Yes, it is a huge uplift for people photography. Huge. No more messy slightly OOF shots.

However, you should be able to use 5DIV in live view mode as a sort of mirrorless just without the latest tech like eye AF and IBIS.
The r5 is a little bit out of budget
Why do you need R5 unless you print on 4M wide wall or shoot 8K RAW video? Just because it sits higher doesn't make it right for everyone. R3 is another step up the food chain and is only 24MP.

Besides HK R5 is now sub £2.5K so actually not too far off R6II, but as mentioned R5II is probably on its way but landing nearer £4k mark to start with if pricing patterns repeat. I'd much rather get Z8 and jump over to Nikon then. but then I need 8K you probably don't. There is nothing else in it.

I feel like as soon as I buy it they’ll announce the r5ii or is that worth waiting for and saving up?
Again what is the point unless it is a stacked sensor without AA filter so an actual overall improvement? Somehow I doubt this. Just get the Z8 then.

Best body right now is Z9 or Z8, except for same old pixelated crappy EVF.
Best new lenses are mostly from Sony, Some from Nikon
If have you a lot EF glass like me then that's a factor, but you can adapt to nikon and sony also.
IF you fancy halo lenses like 28-70mm f/2 or 24-105mm f/2.8 then your options are truly limited to Canon RF.

Here is another option. Buy the older R6 mk1 at just 1399 as a second body, and bag a nice Tamron 35mm f/1.4 & Sigma ART 50mm f/1.4 or Sigma ART 40mm f/1.4 and maybe 28mm f/1.4 and you will have plenty of ££££ left for travel and fun and have more capable kit. R6 vs R6II is mainly minimal changes.

Come to the photography show in Birmingham in March, play with the gear, and make the decision on facts and feel

It depends really

Improved:
  • AF in a different league
  • IBIS
  • FF 4K 60p video, and also 6K external RAW
  • crazy high fps
Seriously downgraded:
  • cheap plastic body
  • pixelated low res old EVF from sony's junkyard
  • short, uncomfortable grip. This is no 5D any more. No better than Sony now
24MP vs 30MP is probably closer than you think. 5DIV has hell of a strong AA filter meaning only sharpest primes can properly get through that. So you likely don't ever get anywhere near 30, particularly in the edges... R6II still has AA filter but it is less aggressive.
I either need medium res files for clients, where even 16MP is overkill, or I need full 50++MP and that's for high res printing. Think a wall,. Do you do that?

OK. So this is essentially WANT rather than NEED, and there is nothing wrong with that.

This is a big WANT, and that's likely one of the better options for RF if you can drop so much cash in one go.
I would argue that maybe you will find the new 24-105mm f/2.8 more useful because of the extra range in one package - very useful for family lifestyle shooting.
These are not lenses I own nor realistically consider due to cost, and then plastic build. That much money buys me a bag full of Sigma ART primes and lots more.
I would not expect them to be optically perfect, but that would mainly manifest on 8K sensor like R5. You should be relatively OK with 6K R6II.

Personally I shifted mine a while ago without even replacing directly; 35mm and 50mm Tamron and Sigma primes cover the gap. One thing it was actually pretty good for was events, people and lifestyle. But if you venture into landscapes and high res cameras, etc I can see why you'd want something substantially upgraded.
If you want a zoom in RF mount then you don't really have many option other than what was mentioned above and I'd personally skip RF 24-70mm f/2.8 unless you fancy extra heavy [correctable] vignette at ridiculous price.
But you also have options in Sony with excellent 24-70mm GM2.

Yes, it is a huge uplift for people photography. Huge. No more messy slightly OOF shots.

However, you should be able to use 5DIV in live view mode as a sort of mirrorless just without the latest tech like eye AF and IBIS.

Why do you need R5 unless you print on 4M wide wall or shoot 8K RAW video? Just because it sits higher doesn't make it right for everyone. R3 is another step up the food chain and is only 24MP.

Besides HK R5 is now sub £2.5K so actually not too far off R6II, but as mentioned R5II is probably on its way but landing nearer £4k mark to start with if pricing patterns repeat. I'd much rather get Z8 and jump over to Nikon then. but then I need 8K you probably don't. There is nothing else in it.

Again what is the point unless it is a stacked sensor without AA filter so an actual overall improvement? Somehow I doubt this. Just get the Z8 then.

Best body right now is Z9 or Z8, except for same old pixelated crappy EVF.
Best new lenses are mostly from Sony, Some from Nikon
If have you a lot EF glass like me then that's a factor, but you can adapt to nikon and sony also.
IF you fancy halo lenses like 28-70mm f/2 or 24-105mm f/2.8 then your options are truly limited to Canon RF.

Here is another option. Buy the older R6 mk1 at just 1399 as a second body, and bag a nice Tamron 35mm f/1.4 & Sigma ART 50mm f/1.4 or Sigma ART 40mm f/1.4 and maybe 28mm f/1.4 and you will have plenty of ££££ left for travel and fun and have more capable kit. R6 vs R6II is mainly minimal changes.

Come to the photography show in Birmingham in March, play with the gear, and make the decision on facts and feel
thank you for the comprehensive reply, you are right in that it’s a want not a need, I’ve never printed anywhere near big enough to be a problem which is why I thought the r6ii would be enough. I’m shocked you say it’s a cheap plastic though but I’ve never even held one so I think you’re right that I need to play with a few.

Never considered swapping brands as I would’ve been keeping my EF 70-200 is ii and I really like my EF 85 1.2 ii as well until I can afford the RF versions. And I have canon 600 rt flashes that aren’t worth much now but still good for me

Also, I get what you’re saying about primes but I don’t have the patience and I like the versatility of the zoom, which is why the 28-70 f.2 was so appealing, down the line I would’ve added the (not announced but maybe soon) rf 35 1.4 for some occasions to pair with an 85 1.2

all my pricing so far is based on panamoz as I’ve used them before about 10 years ago for all my lenses, r6ii is only £1840 with adapter

I think I’m going to wait, at least a few months anyway and see what gets announced etc and see how much everything is going to cost as my EF stuff is worth less than what I had assumed

Thank you again, very helpful and much appreciated

I’m shocked you say it’s a cheap plastic though but I’ve never even held one so I think you’re right that I need to play with a few.
You need a shovel full of salt for some of his 'honest' opinions.

I'm not saying the R6 is built like a tank, but I seriously can't see it falling apart in my hands (it won't have the heft of the 5dIV but neither does it feel like a 300d), probably on a par with the 6d

I'm not saying the R6 is built like a tank, but I seriously can't see it falling apart in my hands (it won't have the heft of the 5dIV but neither does it feel like a 300d), probably on a par with the 6d
I started on a 450D, then 6D then 5Div and I dont remember minding the plastic on any of them but I’ll get around to looking at one in the next few months and treat myself but good to know it’s not TEMU cheap lol

What part is "honest"?! Are you done with personal insults already?!

What part is "honest"?! Are you done with personal insults already?!
Do you really need to see the list of your recent posts where there is literally no photographic equipment that is good enough for you?

I mean, sincerely, you do realise that is exactly what your posting history looks like - btw this isn't personal - why would I give a monkeys fart what you think about gear I don't own - or even gear that I do. ;)

Thanks guys, that's quite enough.
Moving on ...

Back