6 day old baby...

Ted

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I think this is the first time i've posted in this section as I have spent most of my first year in photography focussed on travel and landscapes. I visited my friends with their 6 day old weener yesterday so thought it was the perfect opportunity to have a crack at some portraits.

Used natural lighting which was tricky in such a dark house but interested to know what you think. More babies on the horizon with friends and family so keen to get better.

Cheers

3263687528_40387341f0_o.jpg

3262860443_feff62c9dc.jpg

Last edited:
Magic :)

not bad shots at all, i'd have over exposed them slightly myself though.

we get loads of newborns in the studio and tbh they're a pain in the arse to photograph as they're generally either sleeping (good) or crying (bad)

and they look like little aliens and come in two shades which is either bruised red or a deathly white/grey colour

maybe i should be more broody or whatever it is the gf calls it :)

Ha thanks

Thats pretty much why I went for the b&W as he was a rather funny orange colour. Tough to get any action other than the snooze.

When you say you would over expose them......is that something I could do in pp or does it need to be done with lighting? I tried lifting the exposure but got large hotspots in all the wrong places

Is there a trick to it?

yeah just tweak the exposure or brightness and have a fiddle around, do you use lightroom? a bit of a bash in clarity in that with a white vignette normally makes new mothers squeal.

mind you with your photographs i'd leave them as is :)

I love B&W on newborns, and i really like the first one.

For future baby opportunities, i think you are right to go with natural lighting but don't forget when they are this tiny they are very portable so can be easily moved to a window in their seat ot basket.

Also my preference is not to shoot from above but try to get down at face level, and to try to avoid shooting up noses and into ears. Don't forget its lovely to get some of their tiny fingers.....

Having said that, i think any newborn is gorgeous no matter what angle its from:)

Uh, I think my ovaries just exploded. I can offer no critique whatsoever but ohmygodaaaw. I want one.

Back