6 Days with no service from EE!

Edit My Images
Yes
6 days ago my mobile phone - an old Nokia - started to show "no service" - this is the 3rd time this has happened within a few months - and so far I have no service on that phone for 6 days now.

When I went to the EE website it was down - but their "community forum" was working.

Lots of people are having the same trouble apparently - and they told me to use their "Service Status Checker" to see how their service was in my area - guess what - it didn't work!

Luckily I had recently bought a smartphone on here (Thanks Paul) so after a quick check I got GiffGaff to send me a SIM and used their £10 "Goody Bag" to get back a phone service.

But because of that service outage with EE i have to change all the places where my phone is used as 2nd verification. - my bank, my doctor, my e-mail accounts.

Then they had the nerve to complain because my language violated their TOS - bunch of tossers!

Every one of the major networks has suffered service outages at some point.

Try living in North Yorkshire where various villages still have no coverage at all.
I can't understand the problems with verification (yet), the only site I once had to drive 3 miles to receive a text verification was facebook.

Last edited:
Every one of the major networks has suffered service outages at some point.

Well 6 days does seem excessive especially when they don't seem to give a toss!
At least I stopped their Direct Debit.

Try living in North Yorkshire where various villages still have no coverage at all.
I can't understand the problems with verification (yet), the only site I once had to drive 3 miles to receive a text verification was facebook.
I thought Yorkshire had it's own phone network called t'mobile? ;)

I've been with EE since 1999 (can't remember what they were called back then) and from memory I've never had a loss of service but I do remember there was a lack of service from all the providers in the Yokshire Dales and it seems like there still is.

Had a brief outage with 3 the other day. It happens!

Oddly enough I have 3 broadband (4G) with no problems at all.

And 8 days (now) is more than a brief outage.

Fortunately since I had already bought a smartphone on here I have now abandoned EE apart from seeing just how long and what excuses they will make.

I am now using GiffGaff with a £10.00 Goody Bag which seemed the best bargain and I have now cancelled my Direct Debit for EE and they can now get stuffed!

6 days ago my mobile phone - an old Nokia - started to show "no service" - this is the 3rd time this has happened within a few months - and so far I have no service on that phone for 6 days now.

When I went to the EE website it was down - but their "community forum" was working.

Lots of people are having the same trouble apparently - and they told me to use their "Service Status Checker" to see how their service was in my area - guess what - it didn't work!

Luckily I had recently bought a smartphone on here (Thanks Paul) so after a quick check I got GiffGaff to send me a SIM and used their £10 "Goody Bag" to get back a phone service.

But because of that service outage with EE i have to change all the places where my phone is used as 2nd verification. - my bank, my doctor, my e-mail accounts.

Then they had the nerve to complain because my language violated their TOS - bunch of tossers!

why don’t you ask for a PUK code to transfer your EE number to your Gifgaff service? You won’t need to change your 2nd verification as the number will be the same. It’s very simple to do.

why don’t you ask for a PUK code to transfer your EE number to your Gifgaff service? You won’t need to change your 2nd verification as the number will be the same. It’s very simple to do.

PAC not PUK.

You can get it by texting PAC to 65075.

My local town has been down for two weeks. Apparently they can't get up to the mast to repair the issue due to H&S reasons. Going to ring, complain and hopefully get money off my bill.

Sounds like a really quick way to get a default and a trashed credit file...
Won't affect me in the least - I don't have credit on anything and I was on a one month contract with EE - so all I do is pay whatever bill they send me and that's it.

Won't affect me in the least - I don't have credit on anything and I was on a one month contract with EE - so all I do is pay whatever bill they send me and that's it.

i get what you are saying, however that 30 day contract is still a from of credit and you will automatically be put as default after 3 months of missed payment even if its only £1 owed. It’s all automatic by the I.T system. Just tell them you are leaving and keep yourself right, no point with debt collectors calling to the house and added fees (£100`s) they will tag to you.

i get what you are saying, however that 30 day contract is still a from of credit and you will automatically be put as default after 3 months of missed payment even if its only £1 owed. It’s all automatic by the I.T system. Just tell them you are leaving and keep yourself right, no point with debt collectors calling to the house and added fees (£100`s) they will tag to you.
As I said I am on a ONE MONTH "contract" which means that I can cancel it at any time - and I cancelled the DD to make sure that they can no longer bill me.

As I said I am on a ONE MONTH "contract" which means that I can cancel it at any time - and I cancelled the DD to make sure that they can no longer bill me.

if you have notified them that you are exercising your right to leave and given them the required ONE MONTH notice as part of your contractural obilidation and not just cancelled your direct debit then you will be ok, otherwise your ONE MONTH rolling contract will continue to roll and be billed for the service until they cut your unused number off (usually 3 months) and charge you missed payment charges, late fees and refer the debt to the county court for a CCJ to be enforced and then the debt collectors will be on to you with further charges.

if you have advised them that you intend to leave and have agreed a termination date, then you and EE will settle any charges/refunds due and the contract will end avoiding the above scenario.

Just to clarify, I don’t care what happens and have no stake in this, I’m merely trying to post factual information that will help somebody If not you. Good luck to yousir.

You can cancel it by giving one month’s notice as you have been advised.

WRONG! - The company has cancelled it , as I said, WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT!

Good luck with that, I hope you have it in writing on EE letterhead paper as you are contractually obliged to give 30 days notice.

• If you choose a 30 day plan and you decide to upgrade or cancel your contract, you’ll have to give 30 days’ notice to us by phone.

https://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-hel...Guides/simo-price-plans-may-2017-19082019.pdf

PS
Shouting with capitals all through your post doesn't really make you look big or clever...

Umpteen lawyers in this thread have been proved to be ABSOLUTLEY wrong!

Have cancelled many Direct Debits over the years with no effect, whatsoever, on my credit rating.

Well done, Peter!

Have you tried the EE sim in the smart phone just to prove it's the sim and not the phone ? I had a big problem with EE at one point and decided to get rid of them by first getting a PUK code for each of the three phones I have so I could transfer my numbers and then cancelling the direct debit as you have done. The strange thing is I now use 1 p mobile which I'm told uses the EE network and I've never had any issues.

Umpteen lawyers in this thread have been proved to be ABSOLUTLEY wrong!

Have cancelled many Direct Debits over the years with no effect, whatsoever, on my credit rating.

Well done, Peter!

What rubbish are you spouting? Read my post carefully, I advised the OP to contact EE and tell him he was leaving as his previous posts indicated that he just cancelled the direct debit as he had just taken a new deal with another company. If he had just cancelled the direct debit with his bank they (EE) would not know he wanted to leave and would bill him going forward. If they didn’t get the money by DD, they would invoice via paper and put a late fee on. Surely you can see the logic in why I and others recommended he contact them to advise he was leaving, which he has confirmed he has done.

To be clear, you can cancel a Direct Debit at anytime but if it’s for a service/subscription/contract/credit agreement that will be ongoing you must provide another method of payment or you will default.

Anyway you want to cut it it's all sorted - I firstly cancelled the DD then contacted the company and told them and why - since I only had a 1 month rolling contract it was cancelled immediately - I also paid the month's bill which was due (even though I had had no service for 11 days when I cancelled!) - sorted.

I now have a £10.00 GiffGaff goody bag which seemed to be the best value and is pre-paid so no problems there.

Now I'm changing the phone details on any account which needs a phone no. as verification.

Anyway you want to cut it it's all sorted - I firstly cancelled the DD then contacted the company and told them and why - since I only had a 1 month rolling contract it was cancelled immediately - I also paid the month's bill which was due (even though I had had no service for 11 days when I cancelled!) - sorted.

I now have a £10.00 GiffGaff goody bag which seemed to be the best value and is pre-paid so no problems there.

Now I'm changing the phone details on any account which needs a phone no. as verification.
BUT if you had transferred the number to giffgaff you wouldn’t have to do all that and also you would avoid the possibility there is someone you’ve forgotten to notify.

BUT if you had transferred the number to giffgaff you wouldn’t have to do all that and also you would avoid the possibility there is someone you’ve forgotten to notify.

Possibly but once I started using my smartphone I became aware of just how hideously vulnerable these devices are.

I also decided it was time to use a new number to defeat a lot of cold callers I had accumulated over the years.

Now all notifications are done on another old fashioned Nokia phone with a SIM card from Poundland (£1).

This SIM is never fully activated (or any money paid) so that second phone costs me nothing to use and can only receive incoming calls and texts.

Simples!

Possibly but once I started using my smartphone I became aware of just how hideously vulnerable these devices are.

I also decided it was time to use a new number to defeat a lot of cold callers I had accumulated over the years.

Now all notifications are done on another old fashioned Nokia phone with a SIM card from Poundland (£1).

This SIM is never fully activated (or any money paid) so that second phone costs me nothing to use and can only receive incoming calls and texts.

Simples!
If your cold callers are giving their (genuine number) you can add them to a block list on your smart phone.

Oddly enough I have 3 broadband (4G) with no problems at all.

And 8 days (now) is more than a brief outage.

Fortunately since I had already bought a smartphone on here I have now abandoned EE apart from seeing just how long and what excuses they will make.

I am now using GiffGaff with a £10.00 Goody Bag which seemed the best bargain and I have now cancelled my Direct Debit for EE and they can now get stuffed!
I've been using GiffGaff for a few years, always had great service from them. Wouldn't touch EE or "skodaphone" ;)

I've been with EE since 1999 (can't remember what they were called back then) and from memory I've never had a loss of service but I do remember there was a lack of service from all the providers in the Yokshire Dales and it seems like there still is.

they were called One2One before t mobile then eventually EE
been with them since the early 90's when they used to do pay up front 12 month packages ( before pay as you go ) when the pay up front contracts ended went to contract and still with them today

never had a service outage in all that time but i find 4g data to be painfully slow in some parts of the country even with a full signal

they were called One2One before t mobile then eventually EE.

I thought they were called Hutchinson Telecom then Orange then EE. At least those are the names that my account changed to since I have had a mobile phone.

I thought they were called Hutchinson Telecom then Orange then EE. At least those are the names that my account changed to since I have had a mobile phone.

your talking about orange who merged with T mobile in 2010 but didn't drop the brand names until 2015 when the partnership became EE

Last edited:
That's Hutchison - just the one 'n'.

That's Hutchison - just the one 'n'.

Though they never operated under the Hutchison name, they were originally called Microtel and the name changed to Orange when Hutchison Whampoa bought a controlling interest around 1994.

Orange and T-Mobile were merged in 2010 and effectively ceased to exist as companies at that stage, the Orange and T-Mobile names were only used as licensed brand names for the new company called Everything Everywhere (which later was shortened to EE) from then on.

I am with EE have been for years like most with T-Mobile before that.
Personally I think they are pretty good, only thing I have found is they do still have a few NOT spots.
thing I do like is they price match everyone, I am on a SIM only deal price matched to giff gaff £10/month

Though they never operated under the Hutchison name, they were originally called Microtel and the name changed to Orange when Hutchison Whampoa bought a controlling interest around 1994.
I think the Hutchison name was reasonably publicly attached to the late, unlamented Rabbit service in 1992/3.

I think the Hutchison name was reasonably publicly attached to the late, unlamented Rabbit service in 1992/3.

Yes, Hutchison did own Rabbit, but it was closed down (at a great loss), it didn't become Orange.

Hutchison also started the Three network (after Orange was bought by Mannesman) and still owns Three.

Back