60 fps

Name
tim
Edit My Images
Yes
newbie to cameras here...I want to make some good looking vids to upload to youtube etc...If i go for a 4k camera does it have to be 60fps..I mean does it make a big dfferenc eif its 30fps? Also do I need a decent pc to edit/upload 4k vids ..thanks

Most camera, including phones will shoot at least 60fps now. The fps you need depends on the type of video footage you want to create. 24fps 30fps is more natural looking. 60fps is more surreal and what games usually are. 120fps and above is used to create slow motion. The higher the fps the smoother the footage will look and the more powerful your PC will need to be to edit properly.

Most of the big youtubers shoot 24fps as its more natural looking when people are in front of the camera. 60fps looks weird to us. 30fps is the next best thing.

If you shoot h256 you’ll need a monster machine to decode it, but the file sizes are a lot smaller. H264 is easier to edit, but much bigger to store. 4K takes up a lot of resources so you’ll need something reasonably powerful, plus a decent internet connection to upload it.

Most camera, including phones will shoot at least 60fps now. The fps you need depends on the type of video footage you want to create. 24fps 30fps is more natural looking. 60fps is more surreal and what games usually are. 120fps and above is used to create slow motion. The higher the fps the smoother the footage will look and the more powerful your PC will need to be to edit properly.
ok thanks for the adivce...im planning to upload quite long vidoes of natural environments

Most of the big youtubers shoot 24fps as its more natural looking when people are in front of the camera. 60fps looks weird to us. 30fps is the next best thing.

If you shoot h256 you’ll need a monster machine to decode it, but the file sizes are a lot smaller. H264 is easier to edit, but much bigger to store. 4K takes up a lot of resources so you’ll need something reasonably powerful, plus a decent internet connection to upload it.
thanks i didnt know that...the videos i want to upload are of natural environment no people

In the UK you would normally use 25/50fps it's not got much to do with PAL anymore but you will get less strobing of lights.
You can shoot 60fps (or 50fps :p) and render at 30/25 it gives you option to slow to half speed which will make anything handheld look a lot better.
A secondary reason to use 50/60fps is the aforementioned shutter speed it will be easier to avoid the dreaded Nds if you can use 1/100 rather than 1/50th
However. There's no need to get that hung up on shutter speed you can't go below the fps but running shutter faster in most real world situations is entirely un-noticeable.
It is often better to run shutter 'too fast' rather than end up using F:16 and higher.

For videos I use a Sony Handycam FDR-AX53 which is designed mainly for video work also does stills. The point is a DSLR is designed mainly for still and a camcorder for videos although either will do both. So which route do you intend to go down with? A DSLR you may have to keep changing lenses to get the video your after, not so with a camcorder. A camcorder will record as long as the battery holds up and the memory card, Some DSLR cameras have a recording time limit.

To be honest it is a minefield on trying to decide which is best. I decided and purely to suit myself is the above ,a small compact that does 4K for ease of carrying and a Nikon D810 for other work. So easy to keep going around I circles trying to decide which is best, I don't envy you.

you can't do this with a DSLR for example without changing lenses and a lot of editing. you can with a camcorder. THis may be the better option for natural environments

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frkacimtilI&ab_channel=Bazza1041
showing stereo microphone in hotshoe , no leads needed and really works well

P1040499.jpg

Last edited:
Back