67mm polarizing filter???

Name
Richard Baldry
Edit My Images
Yes
Which filters are about which are good? are the jessops ones any good? looking for one to put on canon 70-200mm f4.0 L lens for a bit of protection.

marumi make quite good ones too. why not just get a UV filter if you only want protection? sharpness may suffer a bit though, plus an extra lens can cause flare.

I bought this one, but i haven't been able to use it yet. I got an 82mm one to go on another lens, and that has dismantled itself on installation:bang: I've popped the circlips back in, but its going back:bat:

Go for the Hoya Pro1D DMC filters. Don't waste IQ buy putting a cheap filter on the front.

Just to reiterate, a polarising filter isn't for protection. It's for darkening blue skies and reducing glare and reflections. A polariser cuts out about 75% of the light falling onto it, so your shutter speeds need to be 4x longer than they would otherwise be. A polariser is something you only use when you need it.

If you just want to protect the front element of the lens, you want a protective filter or a UV filter. (Digital sensors aren't very sensitive to UV, unlike film, so whether or not the UV is filtered is pretty irrelevant.)

At LensesForHire we use Hoya Pro 1 Digital filters. They're high quality - which you need if you're mounting them on expensive lenses - without breaking the bank. I've also heard good things about Marumi but have no personal experience of them.

Always be careful when shopping for filters:
1. Buy them from a reputable dealer because they're easily faked.
2. Check the details of the name because manufacturers such as Hoya typically make several ranges at different price points. (Yes that Jessops filter might be made by Hoya, but is it equivalent to the cheap-and-cheerful Hoya Green, or to the decent Hoya Pro 1 Digital?)
3. Shop around. Prices vary enormously. Some shops aim to make large margins on filters and similar accessories. I'd recommend Morris Photo as one shop whose prices are very reasonable.

Superb quality lens and very portable, I put a Hoya UV filter on as soon as it came out of the box....purely for protection of the front lens element. buy the best one you can afford, Warehouse Express do a reasonable price. Some people take the filter off for 'night photography' and 'contre jour' as it promotes flare.

bit of a bump but i went for a hoya pro 1 d polarizing filter from purely gadgets in the end.

Casual interest here Rich but does your f/4 L still manage to auto focus okay, without too much hunting, when you've got the filter on. It'll probably be okay on static shots but I'd be interested to know its success on moving targets.

Bob

seemed fine this weekend at goodwood fos however im not happy as the filter seems to have a few marks in the filter coating.

the filter seems to have a few marks in the filter coating.

I tried a Hoya Pro polariser a few years ago and found it incredibly easy to scratch the coating.

As I've mentioned here before, even sweetie wrappers in my pocket would scratch it.

So either you've inadvertently scratched it yourself on its first outing, or it had already been returned scratched to the shop, and they sold it on to you again. (In which case send it back!)

I await the comments about not putting the filter in my pocket, but to be honest, any piece of equipment should be able to withstand that kind of minor mistreatment. I just couldn't be doing with taking the filter out of and back in its case every time I wanted to use it!:)

Back