85 or 100mm..?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to be 'doing' a wedding at the end of the year, and have been thinking of getting a prime, and before I go for a fondle at the shop (??) I wondered if any of you have any ideas which to go for - 85 f1.8 or 100 f2.
I have a 50 F1.8, and a 24-105 which is 4.5 att he widest, I think..
My slight leaning is towards to 100, as 85 is not too far from 50, but having no experience of weddings, and hints much appreciated..!
Thanks,
Steve

Steve

The 85mm f1.8 is a cracking value for money and fine piece of glass for the price (sorry I'm still keeping mine, because despite also having a 100mm f2.8, I know I'll regret selling it!)

I've no direct experience of the 100mm f2, but someone on another forum posted these threads, the middle one is definitely worth reading:-

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=356858&hw=++100++

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=357904&hw=++100++

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=359318&hw=++100++

Hope that helps, personally I would go for the 85mm f1.8 not just because I have one, but loads of people give it rave reviews

Mr Perceptive

OK, thanks for the replies so far, and I am going to widen this thread, as I went for a play today.....
Both the 85 an d100 seem pretty good to the touch, BUT, I also handled a 70-200 f4 NON IS and a 70-200 f2.8 IS - bugger me - the 2.8 is is a big thing - no way can I use one of them, and any advantage the 2.8 gives over the f4 non IS has to be lost in 'hand-hold-ability'- I took a shot with the 70-200 f4 NON IS at 1/40th of a second, and it was sharp. The 2.8 was too heavy to hold steady in the shop. Given the price advantage, and I am now keen to try the 70-200 f4 IS versus the non IS - any hints here ?
I still feel that the 100mm might be worth trying , along-side the 70-200 f4 IS - looks like my 70-300 IS might be for sale soon, almost totally unused, but having given me an education about buying untried...

Don't be too quick to write off the 70-200 2.8L IS. It's not a lens I'd describe as essential for wedding photography by any means, but it will certainly do the job and have lots of other uses long after the wedding. ;)

Heavy lenses need a bit of practice to get used to holding, but the 70-200 2.8 is well hand-holdable and the IS makes it very usable in low light.

Don't be too quick to write off the 70-200 2.8L IS. It's not a lens I'd describe as essential for wedding photography by any means, but it will certainly do the job and have lots of other uses long after the wedding. ;)

Heavy lenses need a bit of practice to get used to holding, but the 70-200 2.8 is well hand-holdable and the IS makes it very usable in low light.

Agreed, I just had a 2800 shot day last weekend with mine on the 1D MkII, you get used to it very quickly.

However, of the two you mentioned to start with I'd go for the 85mm, lovely wee lens, although it can show a bit of purple fringing wide open in high contrast shots :)

CT - well, I can't argue, but the f4 non IS is so small in comparison (sp ?) and makes my 70-300 feel so slow and bulky...
As I have a 50mm f1.8, and a 24-105, that has to cover a lot of what I'll need, plus either a 85 or 100mm - I can't see the HUGE size of a 70-200 f2.8 IS being much use, or able to offer me much more..
I am also going to be lent a Sigma 70-200 IS type thing, that is half the price of the Canon offering, and seems to be less weight, and certainly less in-your-face, being black, and smaller-seeming.. reviews say it is as good at many focal lengths.. (as Inaglo seems to believe - black is good..)

Steve

The 85mm f1.8 is a cracking value for money and fine piece of glass for the price (sorry I'm still keeping mine, because despite also having a 100mm f2.8, I know I'll regret selling it!)

As you can see from my gear list, I have an 85mm 1.8 and love it. There is just something about it, that when you take the Bride with it, it is so pleasing and forgiving - I just love it.

If you check out my website >galleries>babies & children or Portraits and groups. All of the close up portraits are taken with the 85mm 1.8.

Hope that helps

Gilly B - but I still keep on coming back to the 85 and the 50 being so close that a footstep back or forwards would do the same thing (almost..)
You have a 50mm - don't you find that ?

Gilly B - but I still keep on coming back to the 85 and the 50 being so close that a footstep back or forwards would do the same thing (almost..)
You have a 50mm - don't you find that ?

I hear what you say Steve, but I don't know what it is about the lens of the 85mm 1.8, but it just produces a more pleasing result for me - on both 20D 1.6 crop and 5D FF. I dunno really. All I do know, that if anything happened to that lens, I would have to go and buy another the same.:shrug:

Gilly B - you have to change your avatar - every time I see it, I want to do as you say, and spend money..

Gilly B - you have to change your avatar - every time I see it, I want to do as you say, and spend money..

If I change my Avatar now you will all run a mile. That is my daughter Rhiannon who is off to Uganda on Wednesday for about 5 weeks. She is working with a charity teaching potential dental nurses out there and helping out with children's dental problems. I am going to miss her :crying:

If you saw the real me, you wouldn't spend a penny:LOL::eek:

Gilly - Don't be so hard on yourself - if you can produce a girl like Rhiannon, you can't be too bad...
Hope she has a wonderul time, and I expect she'll miss you too..!

However, one question - spend a penny - isn't that some kind of toilet-talk ??

Gilly - Don't be so hard on yourself - if you can produce a girl like Rhiannon, you can't be too bad...
Hope she has a wonderul time, and I expect she'll miss you too..!

However, one question - spend a penny - isn't that some kind of toilet-talk ??

:nono: Tsk ....I'm not even going to respond to that one. If you are around my age you would understand the saying.:D

Gilly - bet I am even older than you, so yes, I do know the saying, but anything for a cheap gag...

Steve,

I haven't got this lens but just received an email from a US colleague who bought one last week
"The EF 85 /1.8 is stunning. I used this, strictly handheld, for some candid portraits and to photograph two of the grandkiddies".

What more can be said?

Bob

Steve,

I haven't got this lens but just received an email from a US colleague who bought one last week
"The EF 85 /1.8 is stunning. I used this, strictly handheld, for some candid portraits and to photograph two of the grandkiddies".

What more can be said?

Bob

See Steve, say no more. Thanks Bob.(y)

Sounds like I am being told here..

OK, I'll go get one.

Gilly - it's all your fault, but then, you know that, surely....

\o/ \o/ \o/
I dont think you'll regret your decision Steve.
I have both the 85mm and the 50mm, & the 85mm is definately my favourite lens for portraits/headshots ... superb colours, contrast & bokeh.
I dont think you'll be disappointed.

There are times when I think all women want is to part me with the money I have yet to earn..

Ah, I see....
You know, I have spent all my life under the impression that I was a man, but as I am often right, maybe I am not....

Confused, Very.
But rightly so.

Back