850 display

Name
john conlin
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there any nikon d850 owners who think there lcd screens are poor and grainy especially in low light just checked my mates canon camera's display his was still sharp while mine was grainy

I agree with redsnappa’s sentiment, although to answer your question the D850 has a really nice screen, very detailed. As for the graininess of the screen, all LCD screens whether the one on the back, or the ones in the viewfinders on mirrorless cameras will get grainy in low light. Some are better than others, but I can’t say I’ve noticed the D850 being any worse than other cameras I’ve used.

There are other factors that will affect how grainy the screen is compared to one you’re testing side by side, and that’s the lens aperture and whether you have exp preview on. If for example you have exp preview on and stop down to say f11, and your mate has only stopped down to f4 you will have 8 times less light entering the camera (assuming you both have exp preview on) which will make it far grainier.

BTW there is a D850 thread already and if you have any questions in the future you might get more responses if you post in there (y)

I agree with redsnappa’s sentiment, although to answer your question the D850 has a really nice screen, very detailed. As for the graininess of the screen, all LCD screens whether the one on the back, or the ones in the viewfinders on mirrorless cameras will get grainy in low light. Some are better than others, but I can’t say I’ve noticed the D850 being any worse than other cameras I’ve used.

There are other factors that will affect how grainy the screen is compared to one you’re testing side by side, and that’s the lens aperture and whether you have exp preview on. If for example you have exp preview on and stop down to say f11, and your mate has only stopped down to f4 you will have 8 times less light entering the camera (assuming you both have exp preview on) which will make it far grainier.

BTW there is a D850 thread already and if you have any questions in the future you might get more responses if you post in there (y)
hi i agree but my point was for a top camera i would expected the 850 to be at least as good, we both on same settings both 16 35 lens although Nikon and canon shooting the same scene but i will take your advice and try the 850 thread thanks for you taking the time to ans

hi i agree but my point was for a top camera i would expected the 850 to be at least as good, we both on same settings both 16 35 lens although Nikon and canon shooting the same scene but i will take your advice and try the 850 thread thanks for you taking the time to ans
There's always a chance that he didn't have exp preview on, or that Canon don't stop down the lens in live view until the shot is taken. I'm not familiar with Canon, but it is my understanding that with the Nikon if you have exp preview on in live view the lens physically stops down as you adjust the aperture and so will restrict light. This difference to 'normal' shooting where the lens only stops down when you physically press the shutter.

Either way it's the final image that matters, and you'd struggle to beat the D850. I've never found the D850 LCD noisy though unless I've been shooting in VERY dark conditions such as when I'm in a dark 'studio' type scenario using flash to create the light.

Back