85mm mk1 and mk2 query

Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondered if anyone has actually tried both lens 85mm f/1.2 and 85 f/1.2 mk2 ? I'm interested in buying one and wondered if its worth buying a used mk1 to save money instead of the mk2? I'll be taking pictures of my children (eldest) 3yrs and (youngest)3months. Its a bit of a luxury and i don't like using flash so i'm not considering the super cheaper 85mm f/1.8 - even though it has the faster autofocus which i need for children.

How slow is the autofocus? I used to have a 17-55 kit lens and since it doesn't have usm - people said it was slow but i thought it was ok, is the 85 slower?

The MkII is a little faster on the Af front (according to reviews) but not staggeringly so. Slow AF is subjective...sure, it won't be as quick as the f/1.8 as there is simply so much more glass to move....it's a suprisingly big lens.
It's also worth mentioning that the focus ring is electronic and not mechanical. This means that manual focussing is transmitted to the USM by sensors rather than the usual direct coupling (camera power must be on).
I'm sure that a secondhand MkI will delight you for your stated useage and be several hundred pounds cheaper.

Bob

the focus is painfully slow, i think they improved focus speed on the mk2 by around 25%, so its still slow, but you wont be needing a fast focus for what is intended to be used for, optically its brilliant though, with a FF sensor its just sublime to use with a shallow DOF.

just got the lens mk1 and it's a monster in weight, size and built like a tank. Just need to find time to give it a test drive :(

I have used both and have the mk2,IQ I would say there's nothing in it but I do find focus speed a fair bit faster.:)

Back