8gb or 16gb Flashcards?

Name
Paul Tomlinson
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone give me some idea on buying a 8 or 16 gb flashcard, would i be better of buying 2x 8gb cards, or 1 16gb card. I think a 16gb card will be a little large for portraits and landscapes but i think the 16gb card would be better for sports.

Paul

i think 4GB is more than enough. i prefer to use several 2GB ones tbh. i know that its rare but if the 16GB card becomes currupted or lost then thats a hell of alot of lost images. also i would get soooo bored waiting for 16GB of images to download!

:agree: I use 2gb cards, the smaller cards are real cheap and less data to lose.

It sounds like the 16 gigs card is out the window the 2x8gb Extream 111 sounds good, is there any better card than these?

There are faster cards on the market, but unless your camera can take advantage of the higher speed the only gain is when you are downloading them to a computer...

I would say that the Extreme III cards are probably more than enough (depending on what camera you have) - I have a couple of them for the D40 and they have been faultless....

thanks for your help folks i think i will go for the 8 gig cards. Here's one for Scott, how much would you pay for a second hand 350d ?

I use 4GB, I can get 400 raw images on 1 card.

I use a 8gb in my D200(holds 480 RAW), backups for that and main for D70s are 4 gigs.

Imagine if you filled a 16 gb one and it went pearshaped, thats an awful lot of photos too loose.

Just my opinion.....:)

Just to add, having many smaller cards also helps me when downloading, for example at motorsport you can use a card per race, or class perhaps, at a Wedding you can split into sectors of the day !

Ive got 3x 16gb ExtremeIII CF cards (1 in each body) and ive yet to have a problem with them...

The "all your eggs in 1 basket" is a concern, but, up until now ive not had cards fail... imo even if a card was to fail its highly likely youd be able to restore the shots already written to the card.

In my 1dmkII's, i also have 8gb SDHC extremeIII cards, giving 24gb in camera.

I think there are a few advantages of using larger cards...
  • never missing a shot whilst changing cards
  • with a pocketful of 2/4gb cards you could accidentally re-use one when changing, and format assuming youd forgotten to when copying the files off on your computer.
  • not having to open the weathersealed door on your camera in poor conditions
  • less wear and tear on the delicate CF pins/connectors in the camera body

Ive got 3x 16gb ExtremeIII CF cards (1 in each body) and ive yet to have a problem with them...

The "all your eggs in 1 basket" is a concern, but, up until now ive not had cards fail... imo even if a card was to fail its highly likely youd be able to restore the shots already written to the card.

In my 1dmkII's, i also have 8gb SDHC extremeIII cards, giving 24gb in camera.

I think there are a few advantages of using larger cards...
  • never missing a shot whilst changing cards
  • with a pocketful of 2/4gb cards you could accidentally re-use one when changing, and format assuming youd forgotten to when copying the files off on your computer.
  • not having to open the weathersealed door on your camera in poor conditions
  • less wear and tear on the delicate CF pins/connectors in the camera body

Totally agree. I get 200 raw images on a 4 gig card. I used 2x4gig + 3x2gig on saturday split between two cameras. I would much rather have had 1x8gig in each body.

I have a 4 and 16 and I prefer using my , as like others have said, 16 gone wrong would be devastating. I use it as a backup, which feels the wrong way round but there you go.

I have 3x2gb, and I just feel there are a lot more pros to it.
-Its a lot less to fork out in one go
-Its a lot less to lose in one go (I had a card fail on me)

There are also cons to it
-Having to change cards can prevent you from getting the shot, although its never been a problem, but I can see it being a problem in sport
-You're far more likely to lose a card, because of so many hanging around
-Having to open up the door frequently

Back