90 over 75 Lens question

Edit My Images
No
Hello there

Whilst it must be emphasised that I am still 'cutting my photographic teeth' so to speak, I have recognised the need for a larger zoom lens in my bag. I photograph insects and use a 1:1 50mm Sigma coupled to a 300D and a ring flash to provide me with the odd decent shot. I also photograph everything 'au-natural' rather than bring them home and studio shoot them however, whilst rummaging around rivers and streams etc. I have missed out on a few (potentially) blinding shots of other wildlife due to my lack of zoom lens.

Though my budget is low, I have found a few deals on one or two lens that may help me out. The first is the Sigma APO 70-300mm f/4-5.6 II Tele Lens and the other, a Canon EF 90-300mm USM F/4.5-5.6.

The above info relates to 2 questions really and they are;

(1) What is the better lens for occasional shots?

(2) What is the difference (or should i say) what is the real gain or loss in a 70-300mm lens as apposed to a 90-300mm lens??

Appreciate any advice you can throw my way

Best regards

Paul Whillock
www.paulwhillock.com

Paul, the ideal zoom lens would be about 10mm to 800mm and be about 4 inches long. :wink: Of course there's no such animal and if there was you'd need a mortgage to buy one. :wink:

Both your lens choices are the same max aperture, and the same max focal length (300mm) so the 70-300mm has to have the advantage in having the more flexible and useable zoom range, but it's so slight at 20mm difference as to be almost negligable.
I would imagine that for most of the none-insect wildlife you're likely to encounter - toads, small rodents, birds etc, you're not going to get close enough to worry about the short end capability of the lens and will probably find yourself using it at full or near full focal length most of the time.

I own the Sigma lens there, it a brilliant piece of kit for the price and even for twice the price. However as with all cheaper end lenses it's not the fastest to focus and does not like low light so if your interest lies in fast moving animals you'd be better to save up and buy a faster lens. The Sigma which can be had for £139 in 7dayshop is well worth it if your budget is tight though.

Hello Paul
If you want the lens specifically for insects, I would be looking at a long macro lens from 150/180mm.
This will give you a greater working distance from your subject and will give you sharper results.

Back