90mm Sigma Macro Q

Edit My Images
No
Not sure if I have done the right thing here, but last night I won an auction for an old 90mm Sigma 2.8 macro lens.

I currently have a Nikon D80 and belive that the F mount lens will mount ok. I'm however not 100% sure if the autofocus will work or if the lens will meter ok?

If all the above is good, the next question is what is the working distance with this lens? Now its old there seems to be no info on it.

It produces 1:2 and can achieve 1:1 with a diopter apparently....Is that the same as an extension tube?

Any info on the lens would be appreciated. It was a real bargain for £28 'hopefully' if it wont work, I will put it back on :)

Yes it will autofocus and meter correctly. :) im not sure o nthe working distance, but to achieve 1:2 you will be looking in the region of 15-20cm from the front element I would have thought. A Diopter is basically a magnifying glass filter that attaches to the front of the lens. You will likely lose some image quality, but they are easy to use. Or you could use extension tubes, but remember your working distance will be reduced.

Thats MK, could i get away with a 2x tele conv and stay at the same distance to get 1:1 in theory then? Obviously I would loose light and image quality though?

Thats MK, could i get away with a 2x tele conv and stay at the same distance to get 1:1 in theory then? Obviously I would loose light and image quality though?

Yup thats correct. Ive used my Sigma 150mm f2.8 with a 2X converter a couple of times to get 2:1 magnification at the same working distance as the lens on its own would produce 1:1. :)

Nice would love a 150mm at some point, but funds just don't permit atm. Thanks for the info. 1:2 for now, might see how close i will be with the extensions on. Seems to be around 30cms for 1:2 so guessing 15 ish...So not too bad.

Back