A bee from today. I'm starting to get the hang of macro focussing!

Edit My Images
No
My dodgy eyesight is making this manual focussing malarkey quite difficult, but I think I'm getting there. I obviously need more practise, and will enjoy every minute of it! Being incredibly colour blind also plays a part in making PP a little more difficult too!

This was a quick snap using the extension rings on my Tamron 28-300mm. on board flash with diffuser and external remote flash with diffuser (about 2' away to the left of the picture)

I set the camera to TV and set a speed of 1/200 ISO was set to 400, perhaps I should have had it less?

This is the pic after a bit of a faff in PSE (I'm no expert at that either)

IMG_1841pse.jpg

and here is the original

IMG_1841.jpg

Any pointers as to how to improve will be welcomed. This applies to both taking the pictures and PP.

You struggling really with manual tubes - you need to increase your DOF by shooting with a smaller aperture f11-f16 to try and get as much DOF as possible - unfortunately with manual tubes you lose the ability to control aperture from the body, i think some people stick the lens on without the tubes , set the aperture then while holding the DOF preview button on disconnect the lens, this causes the aperture blades to stay open. I have never tried this and you need to google to see if it can damage the lens.

I would say your faffing is effective!

I can't help but admire...my own skills with camera and cmoputer fall short of your ;) (y)

Thank you (y)

You struggling really with manual tubes - you need to increase your DOF by shooting with a smaller aperture f11-f16 to try and get as much DOF as possible - unfortunately with manual tubes you lose the ability to control aperture from the body, i think some people stick the lens on without the tubes , set the aperture then while holding the DOF preview button on disconnect the lens, this causes the aperture blades to stay open. I have never tried this and you need to google to see if it can damage the lens.

Ah, yes - I've tried this before. I'll give it another go. Thanks for the reminder (y)

Thing is, it makes the view through the viewfinder very dim and coupled with my eyesight it makes for very difficult focussing.

I'm going to experiment with my el-cheapo macro filter lenses to allow for some auto gubbins to work.

You should have seen me jump when the bee got pee'd off with the flash and charged at me!

Thank you (y)

Ah, yes - I've tried this before. I'll give it another go. Thanks for the reminder (y)

Thing is, it makes the view through the viewfinder very dim and coupled with my eyesight it makes for very difficult focusing.

I'm going to experiment with my el-cheapo macro filter lenses to allow for some auto gubbins to work.

You should have seen me jump when the bee got pee'd off with the flash and charged at me!

I've been in the same position, and i found the tubes so frustrating i binned them and got a set of auto tubes - 100% increase in keepers - plenty of DOF and a nice bright viewfinder - you can get auto tubes for approx £50 from the evil bay.

The ISO depends on your cameras noise performance and any PP you do.

I now tend to use ISO 400. In past used to only use ISO 100.

I strongly recommend you get some auto tubes then you'd be able to do the following.

Recommend with flash you use AV mode on the camera. You may well have and option on that camera to set the flash sync speed. If you have set to 1/250th fixed to start with. This should give you a set shutter speed of 1/250th second and the flash (if it's got at least TTL support work out the rough amount of light to put down). You can vary this via the flash exposure setting if it's too dark/bright for your subject.

Then you just set the aperture - try F11 or F16 for more DOF.

You may already know this, so please ignore if you do...

Focus approximately correctly, then rock back and forward to obtain final focus.

You may already know this, so please ignore if you do...

Focus approximately correctly, then rock back and forward to obtain final focus.

Yes, that's the method I'm using. Trouble is I have a form of cataract and astigmatism which means it is difficult for me to resolve the image in the viewfinder correctly - it seems blurred when in focus and when it looks in focus to me it is blurred when the picture is reviewed. No amount of dioptre adjustment seems to change the image, though the focus squares and the settings readout is pin sharp.

Back