A bird ID please. UPDATE PICCY ADDED

tiler65

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tom (I think)
Edit My Images
Yes
Although I do no have a shot of it, yet, my golf club has a couple of hawk BOP like birds around at the moment. They are quite big and appear to have a wing span of around 4 to 5 feet when sailing on the wind. They have a light brown plumage but on the underside of the wing there is a distinctive lighter whiteish band going across the wings about a third fom the tip.

Everytime I take my camera they are not flying. I am just curious as to what they are please. This is Manchester so this should narrow natural inhabitants down a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks. Do they mate as pairs and are the male female distinguishable?

Red Kite is easily distinguishable by its very deep forked tail that it is constantly moving as it feels the wind... :D ... they are much more aerobatic than Buzzards which are more evenly brown and do not have a forked tail - quite the opposite in fact... ;)

HTH... :shrug:

:p

Red Kite is easily distinguishable by its very deep forked tail that it is constantly moving as it feels the wind... :D ... they are much more aerobatic than Buzzards which are more evenly brown and do not have a forked tail - quite the opposite in fact... ;)

HTH... :shrug:
:p
But then there are the black kites they look like buzzards in the air :p
But I would say common buzzards too (y)
there are a hell of a lot of them around now and they have been extending their range quite fast over the last few years

Update.

I finally managed to shoot 1 :eek:

Only had my 70-200 with me and it was very high in the sky, here it is

100% crop

BoPcrop.jpg

So, is it a buzzard?

looks like a a scruffy buzzard to me has it been in a war !!

Last edited:
Cool! They must like golf courses...there was a pair over Bramhall yesterday, and seen a fair few over numerous other courses around Manchester!

Back