A bit fishy

Name
Lindsay Simpson
Edit My Images
Yes
I love looking at this section of the forum some really great shots. I thought I would like to try my hand at it and found it to be very difficult. I think I will have to put a bit more practice in. This is the best of a very bad bunch of attempts.

fish.jpg

Not bad for early an early attempt. Aquaria can be tricky- they are not generally well lit (they look bright to our dark adjusted eyes but in real terms they are quite dim). The fish have a tendancy to move a lot which is awkward in macro terms and when using low shutter speeds. Getting the whole subject in focus is tricky due to the shallow depth of field. Colour balance is problematic if fluorescent lighting is used. You can't use flash because of the tank glass (it's possible to flash from above but that presents it's own problems). If you're not carefull you can sometimes see the camera in the tank glass! Water & glass must be crystal clear for good results. Background needs careful consideration too to avoid being intrusive.

All in all there a quite a few challenges- it's not as easy as it might seem at first!

Back