A bit of local cricket

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Todays local cricket :)

Long hot walk to the Green so stopped at the pub for essential supplies. Also helped with the confidence for waving a big white lens around.

Spectator #1 looking for some fries
c1.jpg

Some find bowling so easy they can do it with their eyes shut
c2.jpg

He wasn't the only one that should have been paying more attention
c3.jpg

c4.jpg

Does my belly look big in this?
c5.jpg

So you say the ball went here somewhere?
c6.jpg

Correct stance is important
c7.jpg

Not out! deceptive angle :)
c8.jpg

The crowd....just before he got hit with the ball on the shin (I heard the impact)
c9.jpg

Lets see you hit that!
ca.jpg

I left to spare the home team embarrasment...and it was b hot
cb.jpg

Posted in a rush....

I really like these pictures Robert and what has impressed me most about them is the metering, cricket whites against darkish backgrounds must have been a nightmare. I had the same problem yesterday shooting a local equestrian event where the riders were wearing white shirts but the trees in the back ground were in shadow.

Very nice series Robert. I like these..(y)

Superbly Sharp!!

(Which pub, by the way?!)

Superbly sharp shots there Robert. Which lens?

Just back from a bbq evening with John (thanks john)

All with the 100-400L. handheld sitting on the boundary with the IS on. 400 was actually too long some of the time. 250 - 300 seemed ideal. I did up the iso to 400 for some to keep the shutter speed up. all should have exif in them still.

All shot as RAW and converted to TIFF (by accident as I usually convert to best jpeg) in RSE. Resized in a hurry with an old version acdsee and given a quick sharpen in the acdsee editor too.

Its the green at Woodford Green. Oh and 'The Castle' was the pub. Air conditioning was much appreciated :)

excellent shots Robert, sharp, clear and well processed. Good action and generally tell teh story!

What Hacker said, exposure nightmare and you've got it bang on :)

These are great! If you don't mind me asking, are you using exposure lock on the whites and then reframing or is it more complex than that??

Wish i could say it was something that clever :)

Just partial metering and a bit of luck. I did notice that getting a lock a waiting for the action gave more overexposed shots than just pressing the shutter as it happened.

There were a couple that went wrong but not too many....
cbad.jpg

Oh and there was another spectator....
cc.jpg

Umm....you're a peeping tom you are!! ;)

Great cricket shots. I love doing these, its amazing how the ball always looks like its in a different position in the photo.
But this one was definitely out!!! My son said "Why did you take a photo of me getting out?" I replied "I didnt know you were going to be out when I took it"!! :)

OOPS.jpg

RobertP said:
Wish i could say it was something that clever :)

Just partial metering and a bit of luck. I did notice that getting a lock a waiting for the action gave more overexposed shots than just pressing the shutter as it happened.

Thanks for the info'. Still impressive pictures none the less.

Janice.... the one where I mentioned paying attention was where the guy got out - and i didn't realise until I noticed he had walked :)

I waited to try and get a stumps flying shot but the visitors batsmen were finding things a bit too easy.

nice shots robert, shows the action well. i appriciate how hard the timing and exposure is after my go at it last week.

Back