A blank Canon Canvas

Name
David Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, Now the proud owner of a Canon 30D and with a Battery grip on the way, I'm starting to turn my attention to the glass I need. I'm anxious to get it right this time and would really appreciate your advice on the best bets for me. Budget wise, I'm not going to be able to run out and spend a fortune straight away so i'll probably be looking at getting one lens at a time as and when the bank account allows. I like doing sport and wildlife as well as more reportage type things. I love good landscape shots and I'm trying to learn more about it! I'd have to say that the most used lens in my old kit was probably the 400mm of late so that's probably where I should start.

If possible, could you give me your list of ~3 lenses you'd recommend (canon or decent sigma) and the order you think I should try and get them? Many thanks!

Oh yes, I've just been told I'm getting posted to Las Vegas for 3 years as of Dec this year so I'll probably be buying the stuff out there! I'm refusing to get excited about it until my bum is actually on the plane ;). It'll probably also mean that there'll be a lot more reportage/landscape and hopefully sport and wildlife opportunities. (y)

my 3 lens' of choice would be the 100-400L IS, 70-200 F/4 L (which i have) and the 17-40 F/4 L, covers most of the range then and all three come in around £1500ish if you look in the right places. After that i'd consider an ultra wide i.e 10-20mm or 12-24mm, then finally a dedicated macro lens.

My 3 lens choice would be:

• Canon EF 24-70 f2.8
  • Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 IS
  • Canon EF 300 f2.8 IS

I use FullFrame and 1.3x Crop camera bodies, sooo, 24mm may be a little long on your 30D, but, 300mm will give you an effective 480mm.

ooooh - blank canvas - my favourite

OK, conventional landscape and wildlife..........

For the wide end, I'd recommend the versatile 24-105mm. The 24-70 is a stop faster, but has no IS and is a few £100 more. Both are L and weather sealed which you'll love in the sandpit. For the long end, you have a couple of options - as Paul says, the 100-400 is great, but is a push - pull zoom which is likely to turn into sandpaper in Vegas (and you cant use a Canon extender and AF). The 70-200 f/2.8 is weather sealed, retains its length (zooms and focusses internally) and, being a stop faster than the f4, will accept a x2 extender and STILL AF on your 30d.

The 24-105 f/4 IS L is about £650 in the UK now and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L is a much better buy in the US (approx equivalent of £850) the x2 extender is about £200. so, for roughly £1700 you have a focal range from 24mm to 400mm in 24-105, 70-200, 140-400 increments with a max aperture of f/5.6 and IS throughout. BTW, the IQ at 400mm on the extended 70-200 is still great (y)

great stuff, thanks! Must admit, hadn't even thought about the weather sealing side of life. A friend of mine is a pro tog working for the times and he seemed to think that the 70-200 is pretty pump with a 2x. Is that just him being over picky or just had a bad experience??

picky i think - in a biig way!!!! the x2 mkI was nothing special, but the mkII is great - IMHO of course.

No bag is complete without a fast prime, take your pick from the 50mm, 85mm, or 135mm...

17-55mm f/2.8 first
then the 70-200mm in various flavours depending on your finances. Then something a little wider if that's your thing.

Back