a couple from sunday night/london...

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
took these shots on sunday night,whilst doing my 2 weekly visit for my wifes hospital appointment.....

C+C welcome...

1/
DSC00644.jpg

2/
DSC00643.jpg

3/
DSC00671.jpg

thanks for looking.

hi, im off to london on thursday for a few days im loving the millenium wheel pic youve got. have you got any filters on your lens or anything? just viewed exif data might have to try and get something like this.

good stuff.
rob

hi, im off to london on thursday for a few days im loving the millenium wheel pic youve got. have you got any filters on your lens or anything? just viewed exif data might have to try and get something like this.

good stuff.
rob

hi rob,and thanks.

no filters used,just a tripod mounted camera...long exposure shot(30 seconds/F11 if i remember correctly).

very nice, i do like night shots especially 1&2, striking colours :clap:(y)

the only thing i noticed no1 appears to be slightly tilting down to the right, not sure if it is or just the amount of boats on the left causing the illusion, or it is the hoison, but then altering might affect the wheel, if you know what i mean

Very nice indeed stan really loving those.... in all the time I have worked in london have not done that yet...

Cracking job mate..

Nigel

I actually like the first one, its simple though not a fan of the spinning wheel.

The second has a little too many things in it and the third one I noticed that the clock looked overexposed (ie. I can't read it). The lighting is nice though!

cheers all...(y)

the one thing i couldn't manage was to get the clockface correctly exposed...tried underexposing the shot by 2 stops etc...how best to do it?

Not terribly easy at all, considering how much brighter it is than all the surroundings. You did very, very well, IMO.

Great pics, by the way, with some lovely colours.

cheers all...(y)

the one thing i couldn't manage was to get the clockface correctly exposed...tried underexposing the shot by 2 stops etc...how best to do it?

whish i knew aswell, suffered exactly the same problem when doing my town centre :shrug:

cheers all...(y)

What sort of lenses were you using? I was using a 2.8 lens so that probably helped quite a bit.

I have tried it with my 18-55 and I had the same problem as you with the overexposed clockface :

3102928287_bf04a979ed_o.jpg

BTW, your shots are really sharp when I compared them to mine.

i'm sure there's a way of getting the clock exposure right without underexposing the rest of the image...just need someone to tell us how :bonk:.

sam..i was using the sigma 24-70 F/2.8.I would have normally use the sigma 17-70 lens,but didn't have it with me on this occasion.but it isn't a problem with lens choice...just technique i would say ;)

looking at your EXIF data...it says you shot the above at F/3.5,which is a wide aperture..probably to wide for that type of shot.i would say an aperture of F/11-F/16,but you would also need a tripod as holding the camera still enough would be impossible.

You mean my photo above? That's with an 18-55 and handheld so I had no choice really. Will try to use the video tripod that I have.

You mean my photo above? That's with an 18-55 and handheld so I had no choice really. Will try to use the video tripod that I have.

yes,sam..the above photo.generally,with landscape type shots...to get it all in focus you wouldn't use a wide aperture like F/3.5 etc..but one about the F/11-16 i mentioned.i would certainly recomment a tripod for nightime shots,also shoot them at ISO 100 to reduce the chance of noise.the above shots were shot with the above settings,which were 30 second exposures.

Nice shots Stan - I had the same problem with the clockface and will be returning soon. The method I have decided go with, is with 2 shots one exposing for the whole area and then another 1.5 - 2 stops down for the clockface, and then blend the two. In my little mind that should be perfect - but as I said my mind is little.

Nice shots Stan - I had the same problem with the clockface and will be returning soon. The method I have decided go with, is with 2 shots one exposing for the whole area and then another 1.5 - 2 stops down for the clockface, and then blend the two. In my little mind that should be perfect - but as I said my mind is little.

cheers caledonia...i took some shots at 1-1.5 stops down,but it didn't make a huge difference exposure wise with the clockface :thinking:

Like the composition of #1 but it badly needs straightening :)

A light source will always be directly above its reflection in water.

Like the composition of #1 but it badly needs straightening :)

A light source will always be directly above its reflection in water.

thanks robertP (y)

which way would you say it needs straightening? when i straightened it 2 degrees counterclockwise(so the horizon looked okay),county hall looked like the leaning tower of pisa....

not sure what you mean by your second statement though...sounds pretty obvious to me :shrug:

Find a light with a reflection near the middle of the picture. The light will be directly above its reflection (because water is always horizontal) so use that to set the rotation of the picture. At the edges lens distortion may throw the lines out of vertical but if the middle area is straight it should look straight.

My sat nav actually guided me right through the center of London only a couple of weeks back on route to the London ExCel. It was around 4.30am and I leisurely enjoyed just about every landmark in the city without the usual chaos - it was amazing! Unfortunately, I didn't have the camera but I'll almost certainly be doing it again!

Find a light with a reflection near the middle of the picture. The light will be directly above its reflection (because water is always horizontal) so use that to set the rotation of the picture. At the edges lens distortion may throw the lines out of vertical but if the middle area is straight it should look straight.

is this any better?

i just used the grid to line up the horizontal/water,then a slight crop. :shrug:

DSC00644-1.jpg

Can I raise an issue... and it's not just with these photos....

I dont find them tack sharp at all... I dont know what it is... but the likes of the second one to me looks to either have a little camera shake to me... I get this allot with my night photography too... Or are these actually sharp and im over critical? The Houses of Parliment shot is another example of this... to me its just not tack sharp!

I havent done any night photography since I realised I was taking pics on a tripod with the IS on... and I should turn it off... so maybe that is my problem... but I dont think it is as I've taken night shots like this before without IS lenses and I suffered this too.

I also realise DOF goes out the window a bit when shooting such a wide landscape... so if you use f5.6 or more you should be ok...

But what is the actual best practice for taking that short of night shot. Are you best going for the widest apature possible to minimise exposure time... as im guessing this is best so as to reduce the possibility of shake even just due to wind and tripod stability!

What is the best way?

Can I raise an issue... and it's not just with these photos....

I dont find them tack sharp at all... I dont know what it is... but the likes of the second one to me looks to either have a little camera shake to me... I get this allot with my night photography too... Or are these actually sharp and im over critical? The Houses of Parliment shot is another example of this... to me its just not tack sharp!

I havent done any night photography since I realised I was taking pics on a tripod with the IS on... and I should turn it off... so maybe that is my problem... but I dont think it is as I've taken night shots like this before without IS lenses and I suffered this too.

I also realise DOF goes out the window a bit when shooting such a wide landscape... so if you use f5.6 or more you should be ok...

But what is the actual best practice for taking that short of night shot. Are you best going for the widest apature possible to minimise exposure time... as im guessing this is best so as to reduce the possibility of shake even just due to wind and tripod stability!

What is the best way?

hi mark

now you mention it,i also had the onboard IS in the on position for these shots,which i've always done to date...more of a case i've forgotten to turn it off than purposely doing it.aperture wise..for good depth of field,i've always shot above F/11,with ISO set at 100 to minimise noise.the shots were taken on westminster bridge,apart from the houses of parliament shot,so there may have been a little shake due to traffic on the bridge,but i couldn't feel anything personally.i was using a manfrotto 190XPROB tripod,so i would think that it's not through using a tripod as it's a super steady tripod.

i would also love to hear folks slant on the subject...

Stan... maybe this question would be better posted in the general talk section now??? prob more likely to get a discussion going!

Mark

No. 2 is amazing... Lovely! I'm gunna get the exact same shot soon. :)

Back