A couple more Ferrofluid shots

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Another couple of shots from my last playtime with Ferrofluid. The second one has had a bit of a PP cleanup!

4319662987_e2577dac5c.jpg

4320396352_0421eb0055.jpg

ooooh, i really like them.
sorry to sound a bit dim, but how are these done? hope you dont mind me asking

ooooh, i really like them.
sorry to sound a bit dim, but how are these done? hope you dont mind me asking

Thanks! Of course I don't mind you asking - Ferrofluid is a magnetically-reactive fluid (see some of the other threads in this section) which does some pretty interesting things when exposed to a magnetic field, creating peaks.
In these shots, I have the Ferrofluid on a plastic tub lid with a Neodynium magnet underneath. The washer (in the first shot) causes the magnetic field to focus in the centre, giving a small area of peaks.
In the second shot, the magnetism is tranferred through the nut, creating the peaks around the nut. I dropped the Ferrofluid on to the top of the nut and let it do it's thing. The flash is bounced off a red card. I've then cropped it a bit, cleaned up the background and used a colour picked from the edge of the Ferrofluid to fill the background.

Hope this makes sense - if not, please ask some more!

Jim

makes perfect sense. Thank you for explaining... im way off from making any shots like these.

I think they are great.... awesome work....

The second shot is absolutely brilliant Jim. (y)

I was actually going to ask how these were done to so thanks for explaining!

That second one is excellent(y) Looks like weird stuff to work with!

That second shot is superb, looks like great stuff to play with, if a bit messy!

Thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated!

Forgot to ask - what the hell is ferrofluid used for:thinking:

Good question!

I came across it through work some years ago and was fascinated by it. I was doing some process engineering in an application where it was proving difficult to retain lubrication in a bearing, so we used this stuff and by incorporating a magnet into the assembly you can keep the oil in place. It is also used in some applications where identifying magnetic fields is important such as speaker design. I'm sure Google could probably come up with some other uses!

Last edited:
Nice ones Jim, love #1.... Still finding the damned stuff after yesterdays shoot!

Thanks Carl. It does get everywhere, doesn't it? The droplets idea sounded good but it made an awful mess! Luckily I tried it in the shed and didn't have to face the wrath of Mrs Elastoman!

I like that second mirrored one! :)

Cheers Ash. I'm trying to think more about the photographic quality of the shots rather than the intrigue of the fluid, but it's a steep learning curve!

Thanks Carl. It does get everywhere, doesn't it? The droplets idea sounded good but it made an awful mess! Luckily I tried it in the shed and didn't have to face the wrath of Mrs Elastoman!

amazing pics Jim :clap::clap:

the mess bit sounds a bit worrying......why the mess :shrug: have not ordered yet but very likely to.......i just dont want to end up dead, you have not met swmbo :bat:

lets all buy some and head up to Robbo's :naughty: he can get away with it :D

Cheers Ash. I'm trying to think more about the photographic quality of the shots rather than the intrigue of the fluid, but it's a steep learning curve!

Aye :) Well they're looking cool!

What happens if you selotape two magnets with the same poles together and put that under a sheet of glass, and the Ferrofluid on top?

amazing pics Jim

the mess bit sounds a bit worrying......why the mess

Thanks RKC. The fluid is a very dark, oil based material and it stains anything it touches (including skin!). If you are careful you can avoid too much mess but it only takes one little mishap to create rather a lot! You need to be really careful with magnets around it because it will jump out of a container if you get the magnet too close. Also, using strong Neodynium magnets, if you get 2 magnets too close there is little you can do to stop them flying togther, possibly knocking the fluid container, resulting in Ferrofluid flying!

If you keep your workspace covered with old papers or similar you should be OK. It just pays to be aware!

Aye :) Well they're looking cool!

What happens if you selotape two magnets with the same poles together and put that under a sheet of glass, and the Ferrofluid on top?

I tried to do something similar but found it difficult to stick the magnets close enough together to get any effect. See above post regarding magnets flying together and knocking over fluid!! :nuts:

I tried to do something similar but found it difficult to stick the magnets close enough together to get any effect. See above post regarding magnets flying together and knocking over fluid!! :nuts:

Ahh bummer! Haha... maybe not then :p

Back