A couple of dragons + 1 x DIF

jfb

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Took out both my camera kits today, DSLR and Canon G - both do really different things, a pair of shots from each...

Tamron 180 with 1.4x converter on 1DMk3 - so 327mm macro lens - Sympetrum striolatum - Common Darter. This is a great combination for this sort of shot...

_JFB2335.jpg

same kit, this time a darter in flight, manual focus & a bit of luck... I was looking for Hawkers, I saw a couple but none close enough to shoot.

_JFB2317.jpg

Moving over to the Canon G11 mounted with a Leica Elpro 3 close up lens (+1.66 diopter, achromatic or 2 element lens) - Lestes sponsa - Emerald Damselfly - 580EX flash mounted on a Canon SB-E1 bracket, controlled with through an off camera cord, plus diffuser - taken at 5x optical zoom, so equiv of 140mm...

IMG_4665.jpg

same kit, this is with the max x20 digital zoom (or crop) which takes the lens out to 560mm equiv - seems to work quite well!!

IMG_4656.jpg

very nice shots, love the close up, i didn't know digital zoom could be so good

Thanks for all the comments...

Dai - re manual focus, not really needed, the AF works well enough. The problem with the basic camera is that its close focus is at the wide end - so you get this sort of thing...

8x7.jpg

or this wide-angle/macro look

IMG_2343.jpg

Adding an adapter tube, allows you to fit close up lenses, which then means you use the long end of the zoom... This is the kit

_JFB6324%5B800x600%5D.jpg

Gets you shots like this...

LR-IV.jpg

reversing a 50mm on a G allows this sort of thing

IMG_2780%5B800x600%5D.jpg

Excellent shots, the close up of the damsell is super.
Thank you, the kit works well when you can get up close - for longer shots I tend to use the DSLR...

Thank you for the information John. I have the Lensmate adapter part A/B I just need part C and closeup filter now. Dai
The other cheaper option is that you can get a simple stepping up/down rings to do the job, I fit filters from 46mm (Raynox DCR250 removed from spring holder) through to all my 77mm polar, NDs, IR, etc

Great work/shots John.
Ta muchly...

Some very nice stuff there John - the G11 works great for macros.
Most of the smaller sensors cameras do really well, remember you have the optical characteristics of the 35mm equiv of the lens, so with a G - the 28 to 140mm lens is actually a 6mm (hence the awesome DoF) through to 30mm, unfortunately the larger the sensor, the less DoF you will get, like all things in life it is a compromise - it also why I do a lot of DSLR work with longer lenses and converters, getting the magnification from the focal length, rather than getting really close, which kills the DoF.

Back