A couple of hills and some sheep

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Tried an early start up to Chrome and Parkhouse Hills to try and capture a sunrise the other day, but there was a bank of cloud obscuring the sun for its initial rise. However about half an hour later, the clouds broke......

All comments gratefully received (and I have a couple of predictions on what you guys *may* say) :)

Parkhouse Hill Sunrise by Richard Breland, on Flickr

There are some blown highlights but that does not in my opinion detract in any way from it being a great shot.

Dave

Are those highlights actually blown? Really nice shot. (y) One of those images makes you wish you could walk right in.

Really nice shot but in my opinion I think it needs to be a bit wider so the tree has some room to breathe.

James

Thanks for the comments guys. One of my predictions was someone mentioning the blown highlights :). They are not actually blown (at least not in the RAW file) - they are *very* close, but not quite ;).

I could have gone a bit wider, so something to bear in mind in future.

Nice, crisp and contrasty scene. Overall a very positive impression. Perhaps even very slightly too contrasty...

One of my predictions was someone mentioning the blown highlights :). They are not actually blown (at least not in the RAW file) - they are *very* close, but not quite ;).

Unless you prove us otherwise, they look totally blown in at least one channel but it doesn't really affect the image all that much. They blend in quite smoothly and you could probably just tweak it further with clone tool and a watercolour brush in photoshop.
I'd much rather you left it as is rather than make the surrounding clouds much darker. It's a matter for a very local and minimal adjustment but I just don't feel like you've got much left to work with in the RAW. You can likely just make it yellow-fake_grey by standard recovery - that's all.

Or probably yet another sRGB conversion dud. It's a horrible horrible out of date standard that makes our colourful landscapes look s***. We should just say enough and force change to adobe or P3

Last edited:
Back