A few days in Paris

Name
RJ
Edit My Images
No
A couple of weeks ago the lady and I spent a few days in Paris where we got to properly use our new DSLR for the first time.

I attempted to avoid the clichéd 'we were here' shots and instead take some photos that incorporated some creative angles or points of focus, although I'm not sure how successful this plan was in practice (certainly more than a few Eiffel Tower shots found their way onto the memory card...).

Anyhow, to help in the learning process, I'd appreciate any feedback, comments, thoughts, etc. There are more photos on my flickr account as well.

Statue Overlooking the Eiffel Tower by skysh4rk, on Flickr

Reflection of the Eiffel Tower by skysh4rk, on Flickr

Paris Carousel by skysh4rk, on Flickr

Louvre Ceiling by skysh4rk, on Flickr

Citroën Store Staircase by skysh4rk, on Flickr

Eiffel Tower at Sunset by skysh4rk, on Flickr

Loving the Louvre Ceiling picture. Love them all & I love Paris. Dying to get back!

Second one i like the most the first and last seem to be a little too tightly cropped at the top the first seems to be clipped. but i could be wrong i normally am, that being said i do like them.

beautiful set there RJ, every one a cracker. All different angles, interesting and vibrant.

Thanks!

Brill Images the Image ''Citroën Store Staircase' I Personally really like and the last image of the Eiffel Tower Is Stunning have you considered a B&W on it ?

Joe

Thanks for your feedback. I hadn't considered B&W, but I might have a play around with it after work tonight.

Loving the Louvre Ceiling picture. Love them all & I love Paris. Dying to get back!

Thank you. Yeah, Paris is great! I was fortunate enough to go a couple of times this summer for athletics and it was my first visit there that inspired the DSLR purchase as I finally began to realise the shortcomings of my iPhone and old waterproof Sony DSC-TX5.

Second one i like the most the first and last seem to be a little too tightly cropped at the top the first seems to be clipped. but i could be wrong i normally am, that being said i do like them.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. As I'm pretty new to all of this, it's definitely good to get some insight regarding composition, framing, cropping, etc.

In the case of the first picture, I didn't think that including the whole statue really added anything to the shot, so I only included the parts I thought were necessary. For better or worse, I try to maximise the space I'm using in the shot and exclude anything I'm either not interested in or think isn't really that important or essential to the meaning or look of the shot. For me, the emphasis for this shot was not the statue itself, but instead its placement and view of the Eiffel Tower. Thoughts?

As for the last one, I liked the idea that there's this symmetry between the land and the structure with the tower dividing the shot into two halves. Actually, looking at it more closely, I probably would be tempted to crop it so that the Tower extends to the very edge of the shot. Again, I'm pretty new to this though, so more feedback/comments on this shot are certainly welcome. Should I have included more room between the Tower and the top of the frame and incorporated more sky?

Really like your photos and your attitude. When I went to Paris a few weeks back I too was determined not to do the cliche shots. Well done!

Love Paris and your pictures are great.

Thanks!

Really like your photos and your attitude. When I went to Paris a few weeks back I too was determined not to do the cliche shots. Well done!

Thanks for the kind words. Wow, I had a look at some of your photos on flickr and they look great; really interesting angles and cool use of colours.

Back