A few from Dorset...

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all!

Went to Charmouth over the weekend just gone, and took some pics. I personally am not overly happy with them, and was wondering what you guys think could be done to improve them? Basically, honest opinions would be very much appreciated! TY!

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0422a.jpg

DSC_0405a.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

:)

I think they are good :)

When I encounter dull conditions, like pics 1 & 2, I often find a Mono Conversion can really bring them to life.

You should be happy with no4, its a good shot (y)

I think no1 and 2 would look good converted to B&W imho

Thanks all for your comments! I shall give the mono conversion a go at some point... Though will have to read a tutorial on how to do it properly, as im sure *Image > Desaturate* will no a crap job :D

Thanks chief!

It's a shame really that the images don't, in my opinion, give the correct sense of height. The first two were taken on "golden cap" on the Dorset coast. From what I have been lead to believe, it is given that name because the contour lines on the OS map are so close together it appears as a golden point on the map itself. As for the actual height, I'm not sure, but it was damn high!

From what I have been lead to believe, it is given that name because the contour lines on the OS map are so close together it appears as a golden point on the map itself.

Not really, Golden Cap was called that long before the OS started drawing contour lines.

When seen from a distance - Portland for example - the exposed rock in the cliff looks golden. The Layer of rock at the top is particularly yellow, hence the name.

Ben

P.s. the triangulation point at the top is at 191m

i think you have captured the scenes beuatifully!
Dorset is a stunning part of the world, my family come from Sherborne (near Yeovil) so the place holds a significance for me :D

I think I would tweak the levels, just to introduce a little more contrast to the shots, and combat some of that misty greyness that there is, then I would say you would have some beauties!

Love the last one, though more sky would have been good. (nitpicking though ;) )

Not really, Golden Cap was called that long before the OS started drawing contour lines.

When seen from a distance - Portland for example - the exposed rock in the cliff looks golden. The Layer of rock at the top is particularly yellow, hence the name.

Ben

P.s. the triangulation point at the top is at 191m

Sounds more likely tbh! :D

All shots were taken using a Cokin 3 stop ND Grad as well, so even though it was overcast, they sky was still rather bright!

Oh I forgot to mention - great pics. I particularly like #4

Ben

Couldn't resist a play.

Sorry the quality is bad, mutliple jpeg conversions does nothing good.

dsc0437altercj7.jpg

dsc0437bwalterpe8.jpg

I split the image into three using layer masks and adjusted each part seperately: forground, background and sky.

This is a geat view and well worth revisiting in better light.

Back