A few from the BWC meet

hashcake

Gone to pot!
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
I've seen so many cracking shots from the usual suspects that I was reluctant to post any of mine.

Peregrine Faclon
5547922936_a15569204d_b.jpg

Snowy Owl
5547922788_66c68ef759_b.jpg

Mr or Mrs Red
5547922280_6be5dde315_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Set Darran
Shame about the wire in the red squirrel shot though
And sorry couldn't resist ;)
The Peregrine looks a little flat and central
had a quick play hope you don't mind ?

Darren_edit.jpg

They ain't that bad for a canon user :LOL:
Have to agree with the snake though, don't like the wire in the squirrel but the peregrine and owl are good (y)

Good point with regard to the Peregrine crop Chris, I think the same could be set for the Snowy as well.
All too obvious upon reflection and it's helps to have a second opinion (y)
Those bloody squidgers don't hang around for long, I was tempted not to post the shot because of the wire fence but it was the unusual pose that got me.
That's the first time I've ever seen red squirrels, I just wish we had them in the wild in England, as much as I enjoy watching and taking shots of the greys (even though I accept they should be culled), my brief observation of the reds leads me to think they are have much more character going for them.

Last edited:
They ain't that bad for a canon user :LOL:
Have to agree with the snake though, don't like the wire in the squirrel but the peregrine and owl are good (y)

:LOL: Thanks Ingrid :D

Good point with regard to the Peregrine crop Chris, I think the same could be set for the Snowy as well.

Do what you like with the Owl Daz, don't like 'em

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

But yes it would work just as well :D (y)

The Peregrine is as sharp as it's beak. I was hoping for more from the reds, tough little blighters to catch were they?

I don't see any pictures of cake?

Darran, I don't know how much of a crop you have going on for that PF shot, but it does look a little off. Hopefully we can sort things out on Wednesday. Just as a comparison here's a shot from my 7D and 100-400, wide open at 400mm, shown as a 50% crop and unedited.

20110321_205705_000.jpg

Do you have a filter fitted? Is the lens spotless? I know your AF microadjustment needs checking, but your shot does seem to lack punch. Partly that's down to the lighting, but I wonder what else is going on. Your pictures are lacking EXIF data.

Also, while I can't be certain, it looks like you may be outputting your files in the Adobe RGB colour space. Colours are rendering differently in IE9 vs FF3.6. Something seems not to be quite right.

Darran, I don't know how much of a crop you have going on for that PF shot, but it does look a little off. Hopefully we can sort things out on Wednesday. Just as a comparison here's a shot from my 7D and 100-400, wide open at 400mm, shown as a 50% crop and unedited.

20110321_205705_000.jpg

Do you have a filter fitted? Is the lens spotless? I know your AF microadjustment needs checking, but your shot does seem to lack punch. Partly that's down to the lighting, but I wonder what else is going on. Your pictures are lacking EXIF data.

Also, while I can't be certain, it looks like you may be outputting your files in the Adobe RGB colour space. Colours are rendering differently in IE9 vs FF3.6. Something seems not to be quite right.

Tim,

It's not cropped much and the exif data should be available as it can be viewed on flickr.
This is the exif data for the PF shot.
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture f/5.0
Focal Length 235 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV

No filter fitted, I prefer not to use them as I've always felt that a hood offers good protection
As far as I am aware, the lens was spotless, I tend to check quite often when shooting.
I've just checked and oops, you are correct, they were exported via Adobe RGB rather than sRGB.

Last edited:
Do what you like with the Owl Daz, don't like 'em

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

But yes it would work just as well :D (y)

:LOL: I've know for some time you are not a fan of Owls, you bloody Hawk and Falcon biased old git :D

Tim,

It's not cropped much and the exif data should be available as it can be viewed on flickr.
No filter fitted, I prefer not to use them as I've always felt that a hood offers good protection
As far as I am aware, the lens was spotless, I tend to check quite often when shooting.
I've just checked and oops, you are correct, they were exported via Adobe RGB rather than sRGB.
Fricking Flickr - I want to see EXIF from a quick right click on an image. I don't want to come over all Sherlock Holmes to find basic image data. I hate Flickr. The EXIF should be in the image (IMHO).

Nothing obviously wrong with the settings there. Let's see what Wednesday brings. :)

Actually, can you email me the raw file for the PF, if you don't mind? I'll have a gander and see what it looks like unmolested.

Fricking Flickr - I want to see EXIF from a quick right click on an image. I don't want to come over all Sherlock Holmes to find basic image data.

:LOL: I could agree more.

Actually, can you email me the raw file for the PF, if you don't mind? I'll have a gander and see what it looks like unmolested.

PM sent for email address.

Pretty good set overall Darran:clap:

I found the birds of prey very difficult and the squirrels were a bugger to get! I'm determined to do better next time. Good to meet you by the way:)

Did you notice I didn't mention cake:D

Pretty good set overall Darran:clap:

I found the birds of prey very difficult and the squirrels were a bugger to get! I'm determined to do better next time. Good to meet you by the way:)

Did you notice I didn't mention cake:D

Thanks for the feedback Keith, yes I did see the mention of cake but the more I bite, the more you buggers post photos :LOL:

Good images Darran. Useful tips from Tim.

Clive years ago I had a friend who was my PC guru and without blowing my own trumpet and he even says it himself, I have long surpassed him.
The same will never happen with Tim, he is way too far ahead but I'm so glad I know him because I've been getting close to selling all of my kit and moving to something like a Canon 500D and non L lenses.
Hopefully after tomorrow (I'm going to see Tim) I'll have a better understanding of where I am going wrong.
Note it's not Tims comments on these photos, I've been feeling like this for a while and after my crap results at BWC, hopefully I will soon be more posistive.

Last edited:
P:LOL:M:LOL:S:LOL:L

Christine (y)

Just one problem Christine, I doubt Darran could sit like that :LOL:

The squirrels pose does llok good, just a shame about the fence behind.

Could the snowy owl be brightened slightly or perhaps its my monitor? He looks a light shade of grey not white.

Now I did not even hint that it might be Darren

Wish I had thought to photograph some weighing scales and put the squirrel on those though :)

OI!!
Ffs anyone would thhink I live on cake and all of this because of one piece of cake at the sodding Bushy park meet last year!
I wouldn't mind but most people jumping on the bandwagon don't even know the orginal story and there are fatter ****ers here than me!!!

Last edited:
but most people jumping on the bandwagon don't even know the orginal story and there are fatter ****ers here than me!!!

And your point is :shrug: :D

I did not phrase that very well - forget about you and the cake - I think the picture you took of the squirrel superimposed onto scales would look good :D

It's ok, I should have got it the first time :D
You photoshop skill are very impressive, care to share how you did it?

Last edited:
Thanks Darren, I normally post with the layers showing if I post it in the post processing and image editing section but for some reason did not do it this time.
I think it probably went something like:
Duplicate image (I always duplicate so I have a clean copy to go back to if (when) something goes wrong)
Select squirrel and create mask
Mask - refine mask enough that the fence disappears
New blank layer, clone tool, set current and below, and clone fur over the areas where the fence was
Look through own library for tree branch with similar light angle to put it on and end up with mushroom
Resize mushroom to fit squirrel (sort of)
Select area of mushroom around feet and create new layer to try and make it look as if it had tucked its toenails into it
New layer and create shadow behind squirrel

You have caught such a great pose with this squirrel that the potential ideas for playing with it are endless :)

Thanks Darren, I normally post with the layers showing if I post it in the post processing and image editing section but for some reason did not do it this time.
I think it probably went something like:
Duplicate image (I always duplicate so I have a clean copy to go back to if (when) something goes wrong)
Select squirrel and create mask
Mask - refine mask enough that the fence disappears
New blank layer, clone tool, set current and below, and clone fur over the areas where the fence was
Look through own library for tree branch with similar light angle to put it on and end up with mushroom
Resize mushroom to fit squirrel (sort of)
Select area of mushroom around feet and create new layer to try and make it look as if it had tucked its toenails into it
New layer and create shadow behind squirrel

You have caught such a great pose with this squirrel that the potential ideas for playing with it are endless :)

Phew..I knew it wouldn't be easier, my PS skills are crap compared to yours.
Sadly I have since discovered that the lens I used to take the shot is faulty and awaiting collection to go back to the place I bought it from.
Once it has been sorted out, I'm going back to the BWC and if I can hopefully get a much better shot of a squirrel in the same pose (I very much doubt it), you are more than welcome to have a copy to play with.

Back