Name
The Witness
Edit My Images
Yes

DSC_0893.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

Last edited:
hi Kai

im guessing that you've joined Talk Photography to learn and to get better photography?

Do you want comments on the shots posted?

Hi.

A good start, especially the dog shots with nice sharp eyes, but plenty of room for improvement if you don't mind me saying. A few pointers though, frame filling is good, too close and it looks a bit too odd, especially with animals. Try taking a step back, stay down at eye level to the animal, but get some distance just to give scale.

The pig shots dont really work I am afraid, one is ruined by the wire, the other because of the angle - again, get down [and probably dirty] to the animals eye level and go for portriat shot. (y)

ok well...

composition and framing are important, what youve got here are snapshots - im sorry to say, no real photographic merit. have a little look around the tutorials section and look up rule of thirds, thats a good staring point.

The dog running toward you, thats the one with the most promise, its a little out of focus though

Watch for distractions in front, like the wire running in front of the pig, think about backgrounds too, distracting backgrounds can ruin a shot, try and keep the subject in frame (no chopping ears of the pets!)

sorry if thats a bit harsh, but you get the idea?

Hi.

A good start, especially the dog shots with nice sharp eyes, but plenty of room for improvement if you don't mind me saying. A few pointers though, frame filling is good, too close and it looks a bit too odd, especially with animals. Try taking a step back, stay down at eye level to the animal, but get some distance just to give scale.

The pig shots dont really work I am afraid, one is ruined by the wire, the other because of the angle - again, get down [and probably dirty] to the animals eye level and go for portriat shot. (y)

Thanks for the advice :)

ok well...

composition and framing are important, what youve got here are snapshots - im sorry to say, no real photographic merit. have a little look around the tutorials section and look up rule of thirds, thats a good staring point.

The dog running toward you, thats the one with the most promise, its a little out of focus though

Watch for distractions in front, like the wire running in front of the pig, think about backgrounds too, distracting backgrounds can ruin a shot, try and keep the subject in frame (no chopping ears of the pets!)

sorry if thats a bit harsh, but you get the idea?

No, not harsh

Thanks for the advice aswell (y)

Last edited:
Read up on composition. Rule of thirds (don't just plonk the subject in the middle) has been mentioned but there are plenty more things that help make a pleasing picture. getting the subject in sharp focus is only part of making a good photograph.

Read up on composition. Rule of thirds (don't just plonk the subject in the middle) has been mentioned but there are plenty more things that help make a pleasing picture. getting the subject in sharp focus is only part of making a good photograph.

I agree - I get that you are enthusiastic and probably just want to run around taking shots of everything but the scattergun approach very rarely yeilds great results - trust me, I've tried it myself in the past!

I think you need to pick a subject and really concentrate on it. One flower, one portrait of your hound, one landscape - anything really but just focus on experimenting with that one subject and getting the best shot you possibly can.

For instance the second of your flower / tree shots. You are shooting down on it and it is slap bang centre of the frame which is not the best angle or composition. Try the shot again but get down low. Clear up the ground around the little plant / tree, experiment with DOF and composition. Think about what is in the background and which bit of the scene you want to focus the viewers eye on. HAve a look around here or on flikr for inspiration - work out what looks good to you, why that is and then try to apply what you've learnt to your shot.

Back