A few random shots

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
Some of these are cross-posted in the sharing thread in F&C so if asked ... erm ... bigger boys did it and ran away.

All critique welcome; these are random shots taken from a variety of cameras over some time so there's no overarching theme. I'm just looking for some comments on anything I've done right or wrong really :)

1. Minolta Hi-matic 7s, Superia 200 (expired)

Edinburgh Tenement Windows by Strappster, on Flickr

2. T90, 20-35mm f/3.5L, Velvia

Aussie Road Sign by Strappster, on Flickr

3. T90, 50mm f/1.4, Velvia

Sydney Opera House by Strappster, on Flickr

4. T90, 35-105mm f/3.5, Superia 200

Beach Hut 99 by Strappster, on Flickr

5. OM4T, Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 on macro, Superia 200

Laptop Keyboard by Strappster, on Flickr

Some interesting images (y) though I have to say I find the OOF window frame in the first is a bit of a distraction, but the colours in the second wow they are wonderful (y) I've not seen colours as vivid as those in a long time (y) the blue of the sky is epic (y) love it :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks, Matt, appreciate the feedback :)

The window in 1. is intentionally out of focus, my intention was to give it some context rather than shooting the windows on the other side of the street with no foreground interest or having everything sharp as neither gave me the 'look' I was after. I think if the foreground frame had been sharp, it would have reduced the perceived depth.

2. was taken with a polariser, which boosted the sky but gave the yellow in the road sign a bit of a cast. I dodged the top sign and cloned out the green directions sign in the background for a submission to the camera club for a PDI competition on Friday week.

Aussie Road Sign (modified) by Strappster, on Flickr

As an aside, I've got loads of pictures of the Opera House because I spent ages trying to record the colours properly. I was expecting it to be white but it's actually that sort of cream colour. I love shooting on Velvia :D

I think 1 would work better without the black thing on the left, the inclusion of the whole window frame would seem less accidental then.

2 and 5 are my favourites. 2 for the colours and 5 for the contrast between the edges of the keys and the lovely soft bokeh on the background. I'm not really sure what to say about 3 and 4.

I think 1 would work better without the black thing on the left, the inclusion of the whole window frame would seem less accidental then.

2 and 5 are my favourites. 2 for the colours and 5 for the contrast between the edges of the keys and the lovely soft bokeh on the background. I'm not really sure what to say about 3 and 4.
Thanks, Lewis :)

You're right about the black thing, I didn't think it'd encroach so much on the final image when I took the shot and I can't crop it out without losing too much of the view out of the window. It was a grab shot taken when we were staying with some friends so I didn't want to start moving their furniture around too much!

ETA: 4. was another grab shot, simply because I liked the different shades of blue. I can see where you're coming from though, without that information (or even with it), it's a rather nondescript random image. I'll put it down as part of my 'blue' period. ;)

Last edited:
Back