A few self portrait test shots......

Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry to bore you with some more of my work but getting into flash more and more and set these up tonight. For the record, I am shooting less pro sport but still looking to grow as a snapper and am training myself where I can. Here I used the SB800 on the D3, which was set to manual 1/250th and F8 ish, which in turn triggered two SB600's. One was placed behind me firing through a home made snoot, which was actually a fosters beer can, thus creating the 'hotspot'. I also placed green/red paper over the flash head to create the colour. I then triggered a second 600 which was situated to my right at various outputs until I got something I liked. Ideally a third 600 could be situated to my left at about 1/128 power just to lift the face slightly. The 800 was a combination of anything from 1/4 down really and I think another snoot aimed at the face could work nicely. I triggered these with a remote......

And for anyone who reads Amatuer Photographer, sorry for the classic Geoffrey Crawley pose, its an in joke with the guys at work.

2495825636_28f40b25a9.jpg

2495822900_b5b9ea0c90.jpg

2495827870_bf8a927e23.jpg

2495006443_0b824a7056.jpg

2495831394_58227f8c46.jpg

2495010321_96e6393b04.jpg

Hey I always assumed you were the white haired person in your avatar :D

The background lighting in the red shots is good and the foreground lighting is moody and works with the subject.

In the green shots the background lighting is too bright so it has gone white in places. I also think the lighting on you is too dark, particularly in relation to the background. Should just need a simple adjustment of ratios. Might also be worth diffusing the light in an umbrella or softbox from camera left as it seems a little stark. Maybe a bit of fill on the right too???

The background lighting in the red shots is good and the foreground lighting is moody and works with the subject.

In the green shots the background lighting is too bright so it has gone white in places. I also think the lighting on you is too dark, particularly in relation to the background. Should just need a simple adjustment of ratios. Might also be worth diffusing the light in an umbrella or softbox from camera left as it seems a little stark. Maybe a bit of fill on the right too???

I think that is what I was looking for, a hopt spot to create a halo effect, not a solid colour. Looking into diffusers and boxes. Cheers for the comment. (y)

Hi D, Just reading your post again you said about having a flash to your left aswell just to lift the face, did you try a reflector in their? could be a cheaper way to get things the way you want? Personally I like the no detail in that side of the face to me you have detail their or you don't inbetween just spoils it IMO (y)

Hope the pair of you had great fun "flashing" at each other. ;)

#3 & #4 are too dark, as suggested a little reflected light would be enough to provide that small amount of extra detail to make them sing. Very hard to get that style absolutely bang on so think you have done well Pete. (y)

Diego AKA Robert DeNiro.. lol. i must say your self portraits got a lot better towards the end... the last two are great!! (y) What soft skin you have..:LOL:

I quite like these.. i like the idea of the halo created by the snoot.. if the hot spot were not poking out the right side of you it would have been better but thats just nitpicking.. oh, im not keen on the colour either but thats just me..

The pics have come out very well.. iv been playing with strobes too and they work VERY well.. Keep it up..

Back