A First For Me - Brambling ( new pic added )

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I just happened to look out the window this morning at my feeders and spotted a new visitor, unfortunately the light was horrendous as it was 1/40th to 1/80th at 1600 ISO, I refilled the feeders and waited.......

I don't normally post feeder shots but I thought I'd put it up to show the markings on the back.

Feeding
752987060_TPVde-XL.jpg

Canon 50D -Canon 400mm F5.6L - IS0 800 - 1/100th @ F5.6 ( Handheld through Glass )

Surveying the Scene

752986717_wPEnh-L.jpg

Canon 50D -Canon 400mm F5.6L - IS0 800 - 1/160th @ F5.6

The 2nd shot is obviously the better of the two and I'm pretty chuffed with it as it was against the light and the bush was blowing about in the wind.

I got him to move to a better location, just a pity about the seed but beggars......:D

753000508_AejiF-L.jpg

Canon 50D -Canon 400mm F5.6L - IS0 400 - 1/160th @ F6.3

Thanks for looking,

Mike.

Last edited:
Brilliant images especially given the low light conditions Mike... :clap:

And you are so right the markings on these little beauties are hard to beat... (y)

:p

Great shots mate, only seen one of these and only got him on a feeder he wouldnt sit anywhere else (y)

Hi all,

thanks for the comments, I have now added a better shot away from the feeder (y)

Mike.

Well spotted and captured Mikey, the boy did good (y)

Chuffed for you. I was looking through my resident flock of Chaffies this morning thinking there might be a Brambling among them. Seems they are in Fife though.:shrug::LOL:

very good shots indead you did ruddy well the images are sharp and spot on exposure, very good if there iso 1600 from a 50d that gets bad reviews for high iso, was they through glass,

Hi,

the shots shown are at, in order, 800 ISO, and then 400 ISO and I managed to get the window open and lean on the sill, the ones I took at 1600 ISO were thru glass and although be fine for record shots, once I had these ones in the bag the 1600 ones were binned (y)

At the distance I took these I would go as far as 800 and that would be my limit for cropping as you lose too much feather detail at 1600.

I tend to go by this rule of thumb, if filling frame I can go 800 - 1600, half frame 400 - 800 and so on and it seems to work fine for me although it does depend on available light.

The thing is you could probably show any body as having bad noise if you crop it far enough, there is no doubt the 50D and 7D are pushing the limits of the crop sensor at 15mp and 18mp, they do however show an amazing amount of detail if filling much of the frame which is what I try to do, there is no substitute for getting close to your subject, which happily in my garden I can manage quite easily and sometimes have to move back a bit to get the subject in even with just the 400mm on.

Mike.

Last edited:
Chuffed for you. I was looking through my resident flock of Chaffies this morning thinking there might be a Brambling among them. Seems they are in Fife though.:shrug::LOL:

Hi Charlie,

a first me as I've never seen one before, they were a pair but this was the only one to come to the feeders :D

Mike.

Fantatsic Captures I Like The All Very Well Done

Kirk

Hi Charlie,

a first me as I've never seen one before, they were a pair but this was the only one to come to the feeders :D

Mike.

Fair chance they will be back then(y)
I have no idea how many hundred wee birds I have just now, but I keep looking through the flock as the Brambling can be easily missed, especially in poor light when there are so many other birds flying about.

Hi Kirk,

thanks.

Charlie - yeah fingers crossed for a re-appearance so I can get a few shots from my hide and get a nice clean background.

I have now added EXIF to the images for those that are interested.

Mike.

Last edited:
Beautiful shots, lovely colour and details (y) I've only managed these at distance, it is easy to miss them amongst the other birds. Well done :)

Hi,

thanks again for all the comments, he was back again today but never took any shots, as it was pretty dull in the morning when he was around, if I can get some better light over the next few days I will try and get some more shots of this colourful little character.

Mike.

Back