A first in "landscpaes" from me - Dartmoor

Edit My Images
Yes
Here is a pic taken near Okehampton Camp up on Dartmoor and converted to mono
Please critique it as much as you like - I am very new to landscpes really but i do enjoy it and would like to know where to improve

Thanks
Nat xx

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2546/3995743716_654a342038_b.jpg

Staff Edit : Image(s) removed. (Link(s) left in place). Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules. Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a nice composition. Not a fan of mono myself.

Please keep your picture sizes within the forum limits (800 pixels on the longest edge)

This is good, quite a 'classic' B&W shot. I keep wondering what it would have looked like if you had used film! How did you do the conversion?

In the composition the only thing that keeps bugging me are the slightly scruffy pine trees on the right, particularly the one that sits out on its own. They keep drawing my attention away from the rest of the landscape. Not your fault, of course, that some trees just seem to come up scruffy..

Edit...OK, I keep coming back to this. I am beginning to wonder if a subtly different point of view, one that allowed the viewer to see the continuation of the brook beyond the bridge, therefore leading the eye into the moors in the background, wouldn't have just elevated this shot from good to something more? As it is, the eye stops at the bridge, and is thereafter caught between the trees, the wall, the road, and the background hills, and those darned shabby trees keep winning. It just fails to satisfy, but its frustratingly close.

Last edited:
Thanksgus, and Horrocks, thats great, i really wanted some constructive crit and thats just what i got and needed.,
Yes, now i look at it i agree about the trees. I just used the "convert to B&W" on elements 6 and did some dodging. Not great with PS at all as i only know basic bits.

As for a higher viewpoint, that would have been better as ther is a lot of water beyond the bridge ..... hmmm, i need to grow a bit LOL. I will try and re-visit when were next at the in laws :)

Natalie, download a trial of Silver Efex Pro, which will work as an add-on in 'Filters' in Elements. It is a FAR better converter for B&W, and is easy and intuitive to use. I think the trial is 15 days, ample for you to have a play around. You won't regret it.

http://www.niksoftware.com/index/en/entry.php

Back