A Good alternative to Firefox?

hashcake

Gone to pot!
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
Mozilla dropped support for the original speeddial quite some time ago and a new one was released that allowed users to import the settings from the previous one.
Last night at 12:00AM BST a bug appeared in Firefox that disabled a lot of addons including groupspeedial due to an expired certficate issuse.
Firefox 66.03 is fine on my desktop but the bug is affecting it on my laptop.
Over the years I've noticed that Firefox eat more resources (memory hogging) and I think I've had enough with it.
Has anyone got a recommedation for a browser that supports addons like groupspeedial, adblock, ghostery and lastpass?

I don't think it was a 'bug' it was because of a security vulnerability ... I did read the 'bumph' about why various add-ons were no longer supported but can't remember all the details now.

Definitely a bug. They centralised certification to reduce the proliferation of malware-laden browser add-ons, then let the certificate expire and killed pretty much everything. :rolleyes:

This issue has been fixed.

They've rolled out a hotfix that re-enables affected add-ons. The fix is automatically applied in the background.

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, they're using their 'Studies' system.
You can check if you have studies enabled by going to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

You can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.

They're also working on a general fix that doesn’t need to rely on this.

All is up and running for me now, I've had to re-sign into a couple of places and I've lost a few extension settings, but otherwise things appear to be okay.

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, they're using their 'Studies' system.
You can check if you have studies enabled by going to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

You can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.

(y) Restored for me.

Another Opera user here.

Mozilla dropped support for the original speeddial quite some time ago and a new one was released that allowed users to import the settings from the previous one.
Last night at 12:00AM BST a bug appeared in Firefox that disabled a lot of addons including groupspeedial due to an expired certficate issuse.
Firefox 66.03 is fine on my desktop but the bug is affecting it on my laptop.
Over the years I've noticed that Firefox eat more resources (memory hogging) and I think I've had enough with it.
Has anyone got a recommedation for a browser that supports addons like groupspeedial, adblock, ghostery and lastpass?

Ah me. @hashcake, this isn't specifically directed at you, but browsers are generally very poorly understood. Adblock is responsible these days for a fairly big performance hit, along with compromised integrity (it lets some paid stuff through, and has a cosy relationship with several major advertisers). My first recommendation would be, switch to uBlock Origin (there are a couple of similar named ones - this is the better).

Browsers, there are really only a couple of major graphical rendering engines, Blink, Gecko and Trident. Move away from one of those and your content may not be rendered as intended. Blink (Chromium) is the overwhelming leader these days. Even Microsoft (who were Trident) now have moved to Blink for "Edge". After that, there is all the gubbins that provide the user experience and the software writers try to use to differentiate their product.

Then, people come along with "Add ons" that improve the functionality - must be good, right? No, it is fundamentally wrong. It's like letting a waiter fondle you in the knickers to pour a cup of tea. Add ons are allowed into your browser, that trust has implications for security and more. That ad blocker? It can and has to intercept every communication between you, your browser and the remote site. You trust it, OK, but it is still a potential attack vector. (Yeah, I know, I use add ons too.....) And then, there is the memory and performance hit that is almost inevitable.

So, why use a different browser? Either to improve the use experience or avoid issues. You have ghostery installed as an add on? Instead, consider using Epic browser (a good option if privacy is a concern). Group speed dial? A browser with better multi site bookmarking, like Opera or Vivaldi (which is one of my current favourites). Want something with ultimate control over configuration? k-Meleon is a good option. Side note about Opera, it used to be absolutely brilliant back in the day, these days it's just another Blink based browser, with what they hope looks like a wizzy interface. Lastpass has always sounded like a really bad idea to me, but hey, if you want to it's your funeral.

quite liko opera
Another Opera user here.
I've been using Opera for quite a few years, but, recently, a couple of banking sites won't let me log in, using Opera.
(Site not available beyond the home page)
I still use Opera day to day, but there are times I switch to FF.

I used to hop about browsers until I found Vivaldi about 4/5 years ago .

Back