A horse - now with photo comparison.

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this at the weekend, it was as if the horse was watching me and knew I was about to take the photo!

wfs800aa3.jpg

wfs800forweb.jpg

I noticed a difference in the colour of the horse when I uploaded it so I uploaded again after saving the file in 'save for web' in CS3.

There is a difference on here but a bigger diff when the two are on my screen.

Hmmm.

Last edited:
Woah, there is actully a big difference on my screen. I might try saving as "Save for web" from now on (y)

Yes, I usually try and use save for web when posting here [or for pics on the websites I manage] as the colour reproduction is more accurate to what I see in photoshop. Only problem is you lose the exif data :shrug:

I don't know how to see it anyway :LOL:

I don't know how to see it anyway :LOL:
Install Opanda Exif reader and it adds a bit to your right click menu when you click an image online.. you can then read the exif data.. but save for web strips it.

I have to say that is a significant difference.. I might try SFW myself now. (y)

There's a huge difference on here between them. I really like the image of the horse.

Janice, you know i am not up with all this SFW's lingo :LOL: :LOL:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hehe

Sorry i am TDATTITM :LOL:

Figure that one out then :LOL:

Anyone who's using sRGB won't notice any difference using Save for Web as the image is already in sRGB but if you're shooting jpg or processing raw files in AdobeRGB then you need to convert the image to sRGB before uploading for display online.

Most browser don't recognise and manage embedded colour profiles and assume sRGB which is why there is a colour difference.

Unless you're

a) sticking with 16bit files and your printer handles 16bit natively
or
b) sending the file for high end printing in CMYK
or
c) really understand colour profiles and mangement

AdobeRGB is far more trouble and you'll likely lose quality as a result. Switch to sRGB and everything will work out of the box.

wonder if you took any more like that this weekend? ;)

Anyone who's using sRGB won't notice any difference using Save for Web as the image is already in sRGB but if you're shooting jpg or processing raw files in AdobeRGB then you need to convert the image to sRGB before uploading for display online.

Most browser don't recognise and manage embedded colour profiles and assume sRGB which is why there is a colour difference.

Unless you're

a) sticking with 16bit files and your printer handles 16bit natively
or
b) sending the file for high end printing in CMYK
or
c) really understand colour profiles and mangement

AdobeRGB is far more trouble and you'll likely lose quality as a result. Switch to sRGB and everything will work out of the box.

I'd argue that making "c" true is a better option. It's not as if it's difficult to learn the basics of colour management.

I always shoot in Adobe RGB and, on the shots I use the framing action on which shrinks the shot to forum sizing rules, it also converts the Adobe RGB files to sRGB.

Firefox 3 which is now out (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/) is meant to recognise embedded colour profiles so posting in AdobeRGB should be ok if everyone on the internet uses Firefox 3 to view. Eventually I imagine colour profile recognition in web browsers will become standard.

Back