A Lesson Learned

Name
Tuco
Edit My Images
No
It took several attempts over a few weekends to get this shot. A lesson learned trying for a light streak like this is that you need around 3/4 or more of the exposure time with the object sitting still; otherwise, it will all just be a steak of light with an invisible or ghostly like appearance.

The ferry is departing the terminal. So I had to estimate when it would depart in the exposure time to record it sitting still long enough. Trying to shoot it arriving was problematic because it would bounce around while docking and you'd get lateral movement.

Taken with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field camera, Schneider APO Symmar MC 120mm f5.6 lens, Kodak 320TXP film and a 90 second exposure.

Bullet Ferry

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to make of this one...technically its excellent, compositionally good and the streaks work well but there's something that jars a little with me and I don't know what it is.

Andy

Stunning shot.
Besides the technicalities and patience involved, it's interesting how smooth and sharp the shot generally is, but how grainy it seems in the foreground.

Stunning shot.
Besides the technicalities and patience involved, it's interesting how smooth and sharp the shot generally is, but how grainy it seems in the foreground.

Yes, often when I apply a smart sharpen I mask off the sky from the sharpen.

I keep coming back to this and the more I see it the more I like it. Whatever it was that jarred to begin with has faded away and now I really like it. Funny that, must be my age.

Andy

I keep thinking that there whould be one h*** of a crunch when that thing hits. It looks to be moving at 900mph :)

I like the shot

Back