A little bit of information

Edit My Images
Yes
could some one please recommend a good flash to use for macro.

I have a canon 50d with a 60mm macro lens, I want a twin flash but if a ring flash is good enough then that will save me a lot of money.

Also I have a 60mm macro lens f2.8 does that mean I cannot adjust the DOF

regards Karl

A ring flash will be perfect - the twin flash doesn't really become necessary until you get the MPE-65mm.

The 60mm f2.8 Macro means that it is a lens of 60mm focal length and f2.8 maximum aperture which focusses closer than 'normal' lenses - you will get the least depth of field at f2.8, but the lens will operate at many different aperture settings - for most macro work you'd be at f8-f11 probably. The f2.8 setting would probably only be used if you were doing portraiture (another good use of this lens) or some more general photography as opposed to macro.

To control the aperture set your camera to aperture priority or Manual mode.

This thread is similar to a previous thread. I have made a front twin flash for macro, but this forum does not allow the showing of this.

Having had the ring flash and twin flash, if you can afford the extra the twin flash gives far better results, the lighting from a ringflash is very flat and less controlable in comparison to the twin imo, the twin flash as it comes is very harsh light but once you diffuse it properly and get the hang of it the results can be superb.
In the end I sold the ringflash and kept the twin, but that said you can get decent enough results with a ringflash and they are far cheaper.

Back