a little help needed

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,

im looking to go to durdle door soon to try some night/astro photography.

ive been doing some research but i have a question i cant find the answer to.

the 500 rule
ok i get that you divide the 500 by the focal length of the lens but what if im using a 35mm on a cropped sensor making it 52.5mm, would i divide it by 35 or 52.5?

cheers all

Just to add to your question on a crop sensor divide the actual lens focal length into 400. Ie 400/35 = 11.43 seconds. I think that the 35mm lens would be too wide for that location.

Oh right, i may leave it for now then until i have a wider lens.
I was actually thinking of getting ones of these

Nikon 18-140mm f3.5-5.6 AF-S G ED VR DX

would that be a better option

It's a good lens but a bit slow for night time shooting and still not that wide. Better night time lenses are tokina 11-16mm f2.8, samyang/rokonin 14mm f2.8 or a bit slower the sigma 10-20mm f3.5. What body are you using as you will need to know what iso limit you can shoot at for acceptable noise levels?

Not sure on that body maybe iso800-1600. On my d3200 my limit is only iso400 but on my d7100 I can go to iso1600 before noise starts to become an issue.

You would use 52.5 rather than 35.

The 'rule' is

Max exposure in seconds to prevent stars trailing = 500/(focal length of the lens x crop factor of the camera)

This is an article about lenses and star photography - http://www.lonelyspeck.com/lenses-for-milky-way-photography/

If you click on the link under the table you'll get more data on lots of lenses.

Dave

You would use 52.5 rather than 35.

The 'rule' is

Max exposure in seconds to prevent stars trailing = 500/(focal length of the lens x crop factor of the camera)

Similar to results from the 600 ff 400 crop sensor calcs. That link you posted will be great for beginners and novices into the beauty and complexities of being out in the dark with a camera :)

Just read the thread, and thank you.
At the beginning I was what!?, by the end it made sense and was very informative.
I shall squirrel the rule away for some dark clear night :)

Back