A little off-camera flash comparison

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
This is probably teaching most people on here how to suck eggs, but some of you may find this useful!

I regularly use off-camera fill-flash when photographing insects. In dull weather it boosts the contrast of the image, and in sunny weather it lightens harsh shadows.
If I'm hand-holding, the flash is mounted on a bracket to the side of the lens, but if I'm using a tripod I'll hand-hold the flash. Altering the position of the flash when hand-holding can have quite an effect on the image produced:

In this shot I pointed the flash more or less straight at the butterfly; it brightens the image (taken on a cloudy morning) but the butterfly's wings look rather flat and 2D.

Pearl-bordered Fritillary (Boloria euphrosyne) by Dave O'Brien, on Flickr

In the second shot I held the flash above the butterfly and pointed it down. The resulting shadows emphasise the "corrugated" 3D shape of the wings and to me at least is a more pleasing image.

Pearl-bordered Fritillary (Boloria euphrosyne) by Dave O'Brien, on Flickr

Both photos were taken at 1/100s, f13 and ISO640, using a Canon 5DMkIV, Canon 180mm f3.5L Macro lens and Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT flash.

What do people think?

Cheers,

Dave

Entirely agree. I think the second looks more natural. Better contrast.

Both are great images , I am rather shocked how changing the flash position adds so much to the 2nd image , thanks for sharing this with us .

Thanks all for the comments. If I find a suitable opportunity, like this one, I'll play about with different positions, including backlighting. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's always a useful learning experience!

I agree with you, what bracket do you use for the flash?

It's cannibalised from a Kennet Macroflash bracket which I got in 1986(!). Apparently it was designed for photographing dragonflies, allowing the use of 2 flashguns either side if the lens at an oblique angle to reduce reflections from the wings. I have it bolted on to a Wimberley quick release plate, with one flash to the left of the lens connected with an off-camera cord. I can alter the angle of the flash so it's always directed at the subject, and bring it in close to the end of the lens for life-size close-ups.

Flash bracket.jpg

Back