A Man took me down to the woods....

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
:D

OK, so the man was Chris [Cobra], and the woods were the British Wildlife Centre, my first trip there. Lovely place and had a really relaxed day just snapping animals.

There are a whole load of photos on my flickr stream, but a few here, c&c welcome (y)

1- red squidger

BritishWildlifeCentre002 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

2 - Stoat

BritishWildlifeCentre022 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

3 - Tawny Owl

BritishWildlifeCentre006 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

4 - Mink - trying to pretend its the far more popular meerkat

BritishWildlifeCentre025 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

5 - Fox - a posh well fed one

BritishWildlifeCentre043 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

6 - Fox - the one that looks like it's had an adventurous life...

BritishWildlifeCentre038 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

I love the younger fox. And the squidger appears to have just left the hairdresser :D

It's nice to see the animals go to the extra effort to look their best for visiting togs.

Great set, Yv.

The red squirrel is very good, as is the first of the fox ones...my favourite though has the be the Tawny Owl, it's a lovely image.

Lovely set Yvonne

I'm not a mink lover but you've got the head spot on.

I really like your red squirrel but the posh fox is my favourite - such an iconic 'sly' expression.

I love the younger fox. And the squidger appears to have just left the hairdresser :D

It's nice to see the animals go to the extra effort to look their best for visiting togs.

Great set, Yv.

Thankyou and yes, that squidge does look a bit boufant :LOL:

The red squirrel is very good, as is the first of the fox ones...my favourite though has the be the Tawny Owl, it's a lovely image.

Thanks, he really wasn't too keen on playing ball, managed a couple of photos before he turned away, but I thought an owl in a tree was a better option than the usual 'bird in hand' affairs at the centres. ;)

Amazing shots! Very clear,what camera are you using?

These are all taken with a Nikon D700 & a Nikon 70-200 2.8 lens. (y)

Lovely set Yvonne

I'm not a mink lover but you've got the head spot on.

I really like your red squirrel but the posh fox is my favourite - such an iconic 'sly' expression.

Thankyou, the foxes were certainly up for some serious snapping, but I really wanted something that looked as natural as possible in the circumstances. (y)

All very good but fav is number 1

H

Just going to add this one, simply for cute value and because even I get shocked and impressed by what my camera can do sometimes, even though I know its brilliant, I wouldn't be using it professionally if it wasn't....

A Muntjac fawn, ISO3200 at F2.8 and about a 50% crop - the muntjacs are in the same large enclosure as the red squirrels, so by 4pm, with some cloud cover and a tree covered enclosure, the light was stupidly low, but this fawn had been hiding all day. So when it finally came out as the place got quieter, it was not going to go unphotographed but had to get active with the ISO button

BritishWildlifeCentre032 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

Violence aside, this really is a wonderful set. Great shots (y)

I must try and get there myself one day.

:LOL: thankyou. I actually typed 'shooting animals' but figured that sounded even worse. It is a lovely place and they are set up as well as possible for photography. yes, some enclosures you have to look down into, so more awkward for angles, but overall, a great way to see british wildlife for those of us that don't have the time/patience to sit around in a hide for days on end ;)

Nice set again Yv (y)

Very nice Yvonne, and to get the stoat first time down there (y)
Not seen the mink for a long time, always hiding when I go :(
My fav has to be the squidger, nice pose and well captured (y)
Really must get down there before they shut for the winter

Very nice Yvonne, and to get the stoat first time down there (y)
Not seen the mink for a long time, always hiding when I go :(
My fav has to be the squidger, nice pose and well captured (y)
Really must get down there before they shut for the winter

Thanks Ingrid. Got the weasels too, and was chuffed to bits even though they aren't the best photos in the world. I only got them because they were feeding the badgers and there were so many people stood round, I couldn't get near, so glanced over my shoulder and saw they were feeding the stoats and weasels too, so went over to them instead while everyone was occupied. (y) The Mink was out at the same time, looking like he was waiting for his food until we noticed he already had his and had cached it in his little den, so guess we were lucky.

Shhhhh don't tell everyone, that's what I do and the badgers are normally out before and after the feed so I steer clear of the crowds.
Still good to catch the stoat and weasel they are fast and don't hang about long, a lot of people try and fail ;)

Aww teeny weeny bubbeh bambi

that said for me its a shame about the 'my dog' angle - could you not get down to its eye level (no height related pun intended)

no, if only I could!... the enclosure is a large area, full of mature trees for the squirrels and then wooden walkways that pass through it for the people, with the actual ground being a good 10-12ft below you in most places. Now ok, the squirrels, you can get at eye level, above you, below you and even on you [seriously], but the deer haven't yet learnt to climb... ;)

Just going to add this one, simply for cute value and because even I get shocked and impressed by what my camera can do sometimes, even though I know its brilliant, I wouldn't be using it professionally if it wasn't....

A Muntjac fawn, ISO3200 at F2.8 and about a 50% crop - the muntjacs are in the same large enclosure as the red squirrels, so by 4pm, with some cloud cover and a tree covered enclosure, the light was stupidly low, but this fawn had been hiding all day. So when it finally came out as the place got quieter, it was not going to go unphotographed but had to get active with the ISO button

BritishWildlifeCentre032 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

As someone put it (possibly Nikon's marketing dept!), "Unavailable light photography!!!

Lovely set - but we'd be surprised if it was anything less.

oh okay - they obviously change it since i was last there (which was 05 or so) , the deer used to be in an enclosure henind the otters , so you could lie down next to the otter enclosure and shoot through the fence at the back of the enclosure

you are not wrong Pete, the big deer are still over there [and maybe even some muntjac], but we didn't go over there anyway as tbh, I can see several species of deer in several parks around london and herts, so wanted to concentrate on the smaller animals that are much harder to find/photograph easily. It was just this little guy was so cute... :love:

The Fallow and Red Deer are behind the otters and the Roe Deer opposite.
Must admit I don't often go to see them either

Great set - particularly like the squidger. It was a really drab day when we were there and I really struggled with the lack of light. I'm also very impressed you got a shot of the stoat at all - nippy little beggers!

I don't like Mink, hate them, I don't like Muntjac, they kill my trees but AAAAAHH! two great shots. Mr. Mink posing like a good 'un and pin sharp, the Muntjac is very cute:):)

Great set - particularly like the squidger. It was a really drab day when we were there and I really struggled with the lack of light. I'm also very impressed you got a shot of the stoat at all - nippy little beggers!

Aye, we didn't have brilliant light, wasn't too bad midday, high cloud but got very dark later, but at least it didn't rain ;)

I don't like Mink, hate them, I don't like Muntjac, they kill my trees but AAAAAHH! two great shots. Mr. Mink posing like a good 'un and pin sharp, the Muntjac is very cute:):)

I know, someone was stod next to me saying how cute the mink was, to which I could only think 'yes, while safely secured in a concrete surrounded pen' ;)

Thankyou both for your comments (y)

Very nice set-pin sharp and well composed- I just wish the WLC was a little closer - I'd love a trip over there

Les (y)

I somehow seem to have managed to aviod miss these somehow.
Nice set Yvonne (y)

Amazing set Yvonne but I do hope you had a big stick with you to keep that dastardly devil in check :)
he was a perfect gentleman, always is ;)
Absolutely, I always let the lady go first (y)
(and that included to the till at coffee time :D)

Superb set Yv! Did you just ask very nicely for them to pose for you? ......absolutely perfect! :)
:LOL: nope, and I had Doctor Doodiddlysquat with me, which normally means the animals sodding off before you can even turn the camera on :D
Ha bloody ha :p
but excuse me, who set most of those shots up for you?
Well the fox anyway :p

Not bad for a Nikon user I guess :D

Those are all stunning! #1 is my fav! just how gorgeous is he! (he because I've not seen many females who have mohawks as a fashion statement!)

I somehow seem to have managed to aviod miss these somehow.
Nice set Yvonne (y)

Absolutely, I always let the lady go first (y)
(and that included to the till at coffee time :D)

Ha bloody ha :p
but excuse me, who set most of those shots up for you?
Well the fox anyway :p

Not bad for a Nikon user I guess :D

ONE picture, one where you managed to get the fox attention!! :LOL:

Seriously though, I can't think of a better person to have introduced to me to the BWC, my heartfelt thanks Chris :clap: :hug2:

....now bring a proper camera with you next time :p

Seriously though, I can't think of a better person to have introduced to me to the BWC, my heartfelt thanks Chris :clap: :hug2:
Awwww :love: you are too kind Yvonne :confused:
I enjoyed the day immensely too (y)

....now bring a proper camera with you next time :p
I've just gone right off you again :p

Back