A mini HDR night-time tour of Southport

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Was at a lose end last night so went for a walk around the sea-front of Southport. I took the camera and tripod with me, and shot with the idea of HDR-ing the images later on.

Anyway, here are the results:

1373088480_0ef55674dd_o.jpg

1373089054_b00f0eb4db_o.jpg

1373089546_530c4fd432_o.jpg

1372185659_544bdcb034_o.jpg

1372186237_02030b8eb4_o.jpg

1373091100_e4c2cbe2e1_o.jpg

1373091834_917e91917a_o.jpg

I am very pleased with the results, except for one shot where the camera moved between exposures :bonk: I'd really like to hear your comments on the shots, about the HDR treatment, the composition, Southport, or anything :D I have tried to keep the images as "real" looking as possible, but as any regular HDR-er will know, it is very easy to get carried away with the technique...

There are some more of my Southport images here, and a few more of my HDR attempts here, if you'd like to look...

Thanks for looking :)

As an 'enthusiasiastic HDR-er' [as in, often get carried away] I really like those, with the posible exception of #5, which is more to do with composition in comparison to the others than technique. My fav is the last one, and I know purists will dislike all that light flare, but I think it really stands out. (y)

As a self confessed HDR disliker (was going to say hater, but thats a bit to harsh) I... really quite like these.:) Number 6 is my favourite. They have been done subtly enough for the hdr to work well, but no show that 'effect' that I dislike. :)

These are smashing, Jonathan. I too dont like the overdone HDR's that we have all come to love and hate!!

These are as sharp as a sharp thing and have restored my faith in HDR!

Well done you! (y)

most impressive set of pics
might almost tempt me to have a go myself!

Wow! I really like these! Sorry I have limited knowledge of HDR, am I correct in thinking it is made up of multiple exposures? Would love to know how to do this!

V Nice..........

# 4 for me ............. it looks like the underside of one of those star wars (robot) walker thingies.

Very nice shots No 2 does it for me, it looks more dramatic, I'll need to give hdr a try sometime.

These are smashing, Jonathan. I too dont like the overdone HDR's that we have all come to love and hate!!

These are as sharp as a sharp thing and have restored my faith in HDR!

Well done you! (y)

Praise indeed, thanks very much :)

...screen shots from a video game.

I can see what you mean with 2 and 7, but I think I've been fairly restrained with the rest (and I do try to be my own worst critic ;)). Thanks for the comment anyway - it's appreciated.

I like em....

no 6 for me

Cheers, that's my favourite too.

most impressive set of pics
might almost tempt me to have a go myself!

Go for it: it's like a whole new world of possibilities :naughty:

Very nice (y)

A very good set of photos, especially the last one, very clear and defined.

Wow! I really like these!

V Nice..........

# 4 for me ............. it looks like the underside of one of those star wars (robot) walker thingies.

Thanks very much guys :)

Very nice shots No 2 does it for me, it looks more dramatic, I'll need to give hdr a try sometime.

Thanks!

OOh! lovely stuff. 2,3 & 4 are my faves but good work throughout. :clap:

Cheers! 4 would be my favourite if it weren't for the camera moving between exposures :( My fault I guess :bang: (or an excuse for a better tripod ;))

Pretty damn good these - night time HDRs are unusual (or at least I haven't seen many on here) and these have been done really well!

Thanks (y)

Pretty damn good these - night time HDRs are unusual (or at least I haven't seen many on here) and these have been done really well!

Cheers! I've just taken a look through your site and there are some cracking HDR shots on there :D

love all except #1 & #3, for me in those two the reflections are too strong, overpowering the main subject. The others are great though, espec #4 for the geometric patterns it creates....also the last, excellent composition and the windswept sky looks excellent.

Thanks Roger :) The camera movement between exposures on 4 still niggles me though...

#2 and #7 for me, absolute crackers IMHO..

2 and 7 for me but they are all great shots,I would be well happy to have taken these shots,I must practice some HDR,well done (y)

John

I'm a fan of HDR and these are very nice indeed. You've manged to still keep them 'real' looking, so well done.

:)

I've looked at these about 5 times now and I really want to like them but the blue under the bridges looks so odd that it ruins most of them for me. It's far too bright and neon against the relatively less saturated rest of the images! It's badly blown so there appears to be no detail in those parts of the images whatsoever. That may've been how it looked, but it's a big spoiler.

Sorry :confused:hrugs:

the blue under the bridges looks so odd that it ruins most of them for me. It's far too bright and neon against the relatively less saturated rest of the images! It's badly blown so there appears to be no detail in those parts of the images whatsoever. That may've been how it looked, but it's a big spoiler.

Sorry :confused:hrugs:

It's a shame about that. It wasnt how it looked, and even if it was, I would have expected photomatix to sort it out :shrug: In fact in no1, there were some very odd effects produced after merging the exposures :cautious: - I had to resort to blurring the neon highlights under the bridge (very limited PS skills ;)). Oh well, something to look into... Cheers!

To be quite honest (as i have tried night time photography), for most of the pictures you would get the same (and more natural look) results without HDR.

I agree with you to a point. Although there is a difference there :) Thanks

#2 and #7 for me, absolute crackers IMHO..

Not much that I can add to this, clearly extensive use of HDR here, but I do like the results ... 2 for me just seems to work really well. Good efforts and nice to see something a little different.

2 and 7 for me but they are all great shots,I would be well happy to have taken these shots,I must practice some HDR,well done (y)

John

I'm a fan of HDR and these are very nice indeed. You've manged to still keep them 'real' looking, so well done.

:)

Thanks guys :)

Back